58. Stars

Genre: Paranormal romance, drama
Type: Series
Characters: Leigh & Jesse
Prompt:52. Stars
Word Count:  1000+
Warning: none
Rating:  M- (coarse language, adult situations, nudity. N.B-Applies to the whole series)
Summary: Jesse proposes and Leigh says yes

________

Champs Les Sims, present day
Leigh was still not used to the smells and sounds of Champs Les Sims. The air here, felt crispier. Smelled cleaner too. And she didn’t think she’d ever tire of the heady fragrance from the grape vines and the apple trees. She’d never seen a more beautiful place, and her stay would have been perfect…If only he was there with her.
“No,” she shook her head firmly, reminding herself why she was there alone. “He doesn’t love me. Never did. Never will.”
She was watching the stars, with tears in her eyes, when Jesse came to find her an hour later. 
“Hey,” he smiled lazily at her, and she gave him half-hearted wave, before quickly turning away from him. She didn’t want him to see the tears in her eyes. But it was too late, he’d caught the glimpse of her heartbreak, and he eased her into his arms.
“It’s okay, Leigh. You can trust me. You can tell me anything.” He slowly ran his hands through her hair, before gently kneading her nape. Leigh let out a teary sigh, enjoying the coolness of his fingers, wishing he would dull the ache in her heart with as much ease.
“I wish I knew what to tell you. I remember being at Plasma 501, waiting for Krisis to arrive. But after that my mind’s a blank. I know I went back home after leaving the club, packed my things, and I left. I left him a note and Devon too. But I don’t know how I got here, or why I left. All I know is he doesn’t love me, never did, and he never will. I’ve been such a fool,” she wailed on his shoulder, feeling her tears soak through his cotton shirt.
“Did he tell you that? Did he say he doesn’t love you?” Jesse asked, holding her away from him.
“Yes. No. I don’t know!” She cried again. A deep frown creased her forehead, and she chewed on her lower lip, trying to think and make sense of the past few weeks.
“So which one is it? Did he or did he not say it?” Jesse pressed on, seeing her moment of weakness. Now was the only chance he’d ever have to get her to open up. Her guard was down, she was feeling vulnerable.
If he knew what was wrong, he would make her feel better. By the time his weekend at Ruth’s rolled around, she would look like the blushing fiancé Shaun wanted her to pretend to be, instead of a widow in mourning.
Leigh kept quiet for a while, thinking about his question. Krisis must have said those things to her, right? Why else would she be there? Where would the thoughts have come from? He must have. If only she could remember.
“He did,” she replied finally. Her voice sounded false as she said this. It was almost as if her subconscious knew she wasn’t telling the whole truth. But these past few weeks were so confusing. She didn’t know what was real and what wasn’t, which voice was hers, and which one belonged to the faceless person at Plasma 501. She remembered the person’s outline and the voice. She just couldn’t remember the face, and she couldn’t figure out how it all connected to her trip to this place.
Soon her head started to spin, and she forced herself to stop thinking. Jesse sensed her withdrawal, and he moved on to the next topic to keep her engaged.
“How do you feel about spending a weekend in Barnacle Bay?” He asked, wrapping his arms around her.
“I don’t know. I think it’s time I moved on. Found my own place,” Leigh replied as she turned around and, smiled up at him. She saw his own smile freeze in place, and she sensed it wasn’t the answer he was hoping for.
“But there’s enough room here for you,” he protested, refusing to entertain talks of her moving out.
“I think you and Shaun need your space. Having me here is putting a strain on your relationship. I’ve heard you guys arguing, and…”
“And I’ve heard you cry,” Jesse cut in.
She looked away, embarrassed. It was true, the nights were horrible, the loneliness crept in, the yearning for Krisis’ arms around her was at its worst, and she had nothing else to do but cry herself to sleep.
“It still doesn’t change the fact that you and Shaun are arguing,” she told him stubbornly, a defiant look in her eyes.
Jesse paused for a while, before launching into his explanation about the financial pressure they were in, Ruth’s clause in her will, and Shaun’s plan.
“Our arguments have nothing to do with you,” he finished off his explanation.
She smiled for the first time in a long time. It felt good to be needed and appreciated. Jesse needed her; it was her turn to show him kindness.
“I’ll do it,” she announced, ignoring everything else he’d said.
“You mean?” Jesse asked in a small voice, not daring to hope.
“Yes, I’ll pretend to be your fiancée. I don’t think it’s right to trick an old lady, but it wasn’t right of your family to cut you off. And that’s the only reason I’m doing this.” She searched his face, wondering if there was more he wasn’t telling her. He held her eyes, and all she could read in his was sadness, and relief.


 “Thank you. I was so afraid to ask you,” he said as he crushed her in his arms.
“You should know by now there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for you, Jesse Williams,” she reached up to kiss him on the cheek, but he quickly turned his face so their lips brushed lightly, and they both burst into laughter.
“Still up to your old tricks, I see,” Leigh smiled up at him, remembering the numerous times he’d tried to steal kisses from her, back in college.
“Come, there’s a bottle of wine in the fridge with our names on it,” Jesse laced their fingers, and they began their leisurely walk towards the house…

25 comments:

  1. Argh! Why won't she realise it was Jackie that put those ideas into her head, and not Krisis. She knows deep down it's not true and that he loves her, she just needs to believe. I think it's incredibly kind and sweet of her to do what she's doing for Jesse, although I'm not sure how good it will be for their relationship. I mean even though he loves Shaun, I have this feeling in my gut that he also wants more from Leigh without even realising it maybe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I hope you feel better!

    Second, the fact that both of them are crying and longing for each other shows how much they love and need each other. Regardless of what they go through, they need each other.

    I love the idea of Jesse. He is a friend that may have a little more than a friendship bond with her but he is a friend none the less, which she is in need of now.

    I don't know how she can believe Krisis doesn't love her and never will when he begged her to come home and told her he would come get her. What is that if it isn't love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be so frustrating for her not to remember, but Oh boy! just wait until she does, or Krisis finds out!
    I really like Jessie and I hope this "plan" of Shauns doesn't hurt he and Leigh's relationship somehow.
    Great Update Val!

    ReplyDelete
  4. O...M...G...I think I like Jesse! DAMN YOU VAL AND YOUR AWESOME STORY TELLING! I don't want to like him! I want him to be a villain so I can feel better about disliking him before! FUCK!!

    Leigh is soooo super fantastic freaking close to figuring this dirt out! I can't wait to see that spark of realization her epiphany! Jesse needs to keep prodding her, making her remember! He's helping her uncover the truth of what happened (hence the reason I like him...damnit)!

    Wow I have so many thoughts about this chapter...prompt! ARGH!! Damn Jesse and his innocent, shy, cute ARGH!!!!!! I don't want to like him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~ I think if Leigh was not with Shaun,s brother in college that Jesse would have been with her,as he has always been a
    little in love with her,but things did not work out that way!
    ~ You can see they care deeply for each other,it is more than brotherly love,but not enough for the ever after love that Leigh has with Krisis!
    ~ I also think Leigh feels him coming out to his family & friends was a little her fault, as she encouraged him to do so!
    ~ She is hurting in her own way,but does not quite understand how she got to were she is,Jackie did it well, except for one thing,..........she forgot to tell her to stop loving Krisis,probably, deliberate on Jackies part,so Leigh would hurt!
    ~ But still in her sorrow she wants to help out Jesse & Shaun,she knows it is wrong, fooling the old lady like that,but she did not think what they did to Jesse was right either!
    ~ I know she is trying to right a wrong,but I do not see it going so well,two wrongs do not make a right!
    ~ She was also there for him when his family turned there back on him!
    ~ So she does know what Jesse went through,& how much it hurt him!
    ~ OK, Val there is my Prompt,now what to call it?lol!(",)

    ~PS- Feel bettera soon! Okey Dokey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for reading. I will respond to all your comments as soon as I feel better. I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone, for stopping by, and Karima and Qui, thanks for your warm wishes. It's been a while since I felt this sick, and I hate being in bed :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel better, Val!

    So frustrating...Leigh's right on the brink of remembering! I hope Jekyll's misstep of not compelling Leigh to stop loving Krisis will help that memory break thru - or at least enough of it to remind her that it wasn't Krisis that said those things!

    Jesse...I didn't want to like him, but I feel like he's still being a good friend for Leigh. I hope he keeps pushing her to remember.

    I really hope the masquerade will only go as far as an engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, finally caught up after a marathon reading session last night and now I'm heartbroken. Leigh's just got to remember the truth, she just has to. How could she forget such an important and indelible truth? Krisis loves her more than anything. Damn that nasty babymamma! Damn her!

    P.S. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( It is so sad! I hope Krisis comes and whisks her away and fast!
    Oh I love your writing and Plotting!

    It was a very bitter update to swallow but you always know how to keep us on our toes val!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, I wish it was that simple, then all their problems would be solved, and she could run
    to Krisis' arms. But now she'd leave Jesse in a pickle.

    Even if she does have a memory
    breakthrough at some point, she won't go home anytime soon since she's willingly agreed to help
    Jesse.

    And you're right about his feelings for Leigh, she'll always be "the one that got away", and we
    tend to idealize those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Qui, thank you, I'm far from better this morning, but I thought I should force myself to respond to everyone, before it
    becomes a mountain I can't tackle.

    Those two definitely love and need each other, and their reunion will be epic.

    With Krisis everything she feels is blown out of proportion, their love is too intense,
    their chemistry is incredible, and their co-dependence on each other is insane. There's no
    middle ground with him. And then Jesse comes along, bringing normalcy with him, and friendship, something Leigh hasn't had in a long time. She needs that right now, she needs to feel safe again, like she's on solid ground, and Jesse is her solid ground.
    But, as solid as he is, and as much as he's with Shaun, every time he looks at Leigh, he thinks of "what could have been"

    Maybe she needs to see him to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holley, it is frustrating for her, but when she finds out, it will be too late, she won't be able to act out her anger because someone else would have beaten her to it. 'Nuff said. That's all I'm going to say.

    I love Jesse too, he's a good friend for Leigh, and their plan will def not hurt their friendship, but it
    will hurt a whole lot of other people, including Shaun and Krisis.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daijahv, LOL. You're crazy for even considering NOT to like him. He's a good guy, and he only wants what's best for Leigh, and still please his partner.

    Leigh is close to figuring it out, by it will be too late, and she may already be in neck deep
    in the scheme to trick grandma. Jesse will try and help her as much as he can, but he also has to
    look after his and Shaun's interests.

    Oh, so it's the innocence and shyness that got you. LOL.

    I love your avatar. If it's you in the pic, you are one beautiful lady.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Karima, where do I start responding to your prompt? LOL.

    -That is true, he would have tried harder for her.
    -They love each other and there's nothing they wouldn't do for each other. And that platonic love, with time, can turn
    into something incredible.
    -She does carry a little guilt over that, and that's also one of the reasons she's agreed to take part in the scheme.
    -Whatever Jackie's intention was when she didn't compel Leigh to stop loving Krisis will never be known, but it is working,
    because Leigh can't get over her hurt and pain, and there's no worse feeling in the world than unrequited love.
    -She's very clear on what's right and what's wrong, and she knows tricking the old lady is wrong, but so was his family for cutting him off.
    -Especially when a certain vampire rock star who's poured all his energy into finding her finds out. A lot of people will be left in a state.
    -She's very much aware of his hurt caused by his family's rejection.
    -LOL.

    Thank you. I feel worse this morning, if that's even possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leah, I think she got the idea. LOL.
    But it won't be as easy as that.
    If she can retrace her steps that night, she'll get her answer.
    You're still mad at Jackie, even when she's not in the prompts? Wow, you really hate the woman, don't ya?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jill, thanks.

    It is frustrating. I hope she does make that breakthrough before its too late.

    Jesse is being a good friend, and he will help her as much as he can, but Leigh has to let go of her reluctance to remember.

    Funny you should say that...Here comes the bride, all dressed in white...

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Muzegoddess, wow, thanks for catching up. I know it was a lot for you to get through, so I appreciate
    the time you took to catch up.

    Hopefully your heartbreak won't last for too long. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, Leigh and Krisis just have to find it, that's all.

    Krisis does love her, but Jackie did her number really good...

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kristen, Krisis will come and whisk her away, I think that much is obvious, but the question is when?

    Wow, thank you! It means a lot to me to hear you say that.

    I try. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm well this is me responding to your last comment I think I know when Krysis will show up. I mean people always show up at the worst of times right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aeon, you're right about people showing up at the worst of times...we'll just have to see, won't we? LOL! Thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ja ne... What's Shaun going to say about all these kisses that Jesse is stealing? smh

    Now, regarding Leigh. I'm all for helping friends in need but I just hope she knows what she's getting into. Duping the old woman may not be that easy. I just hope things don't go too far (ie marriage) otherwise there will four broken hearts lying on the floor. Maybe three since Shaun is willing to do whatever it takes to get that money.
    Not that it was right for Jesse's family to cut him off either...

    ReplyDelete
  22. - I have serious mixed feelings about the relationship between Jesse and Leigh. I love the fact that they get each other and they are there for each other in their times of need. I don't like the fact that he is taking advantage of her vulnerability. Though she is agreeing to it...I feel that he is still taking advantage of her.

    - Yes I would love to know as well what Shaun would think about these stolen kisses, it just ain't right!

    - Leigh can't honestly believe that Krisis doesn't love her I don't care that that evil bitch practically brainwashed her the heart is stronger than the mind!

    - I am interested to see how this dinner party goes and interested to see when it is Krisis will finally show up, probably at the worst time possible, because that is how the cookie crumbles!

    - Excellent prompt off to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trish, the kisses Jesse's stealing don't mean anything; it's sort of an inside joke between him and Leigh; they are harmless, they remind both of them of a time in their lives when things were simple, back in college. That's why Leigh entertains it good naturedly.

    Leigh is a big girl, she knows what she's getting herself into; she knows it's wrong, but she'll still help out her friend. Again, we are talking about a family who's rejected their son because of his sexual orientation. They are trying to right a wrong, and get a little justice out of it; and if tricking the old lady is the way to go, then so be it. But all three know it's wrong, and they don't pretend to be saints about it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. NyGirl, I beg to disagree, Jesse isn't taking advantage of Leigh; he told her the truth, nothing but the whole truth, and she willingly volunteered to help; if he was taking advantage of her, he would have tried to pull the wool over her, and trick her into agreeing with the plan.

    -Stolen kisses, they are meaningless, but Shaun wouldn't care so much; he knows how Jesse feels about Leigh, and he feels secure in their relationship.

    -A part of her doesn't believe that either, but a large part of her memory is missing, so that big blank is the problem.

    -Just a few more prompts and you'll know. True that, that's def how the cookie crumbles.

    -Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh! I'm frustrated because i want her and Krisis back together like NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete