234. In the Dark

Bridgeport, present day...
Leigh took Krisis’ suggestion and tried to patch things up with Eloise; she invited her out to lunch. But to avoid any awkwardness between them, she decided to rope Katie in as well. She would have invited Krimsyn too, but her doctor had placed her on bed rest until the baby's arrival.
Eloise was already at the restaurant when Leigh arrived. There was no sign of Katie. And Leigh panicked; she really needed her around to be their buffer.
"She's not here yet," Eloise announced. 

Leigh nodded her head as she took her seat. 

"You know, I don't bite Leigh, you didn’t have to invite Katie along," Eloise told her. And they both burst into laughter then.
"So you knew?"

"I figured it out when you told me she’s joining us," Eloise replied. 

"I didn't mean to, but with the way things are between us lately, I just wanted us to have someone neutral to keep us in line," Leigh explained. 

"And I totally get that," Eloise assured her.
"I've missed you so much," Leigh cried as she took Eloise's hand and squeezed it. Her friend didn't squeeze back though; instead she got up from the seat and scooped Leigh up in a giant bear hug, lifting her off the ground.

Leigh squealed delightedly while the other patrons gawked at the two of them, visibly shaken by Eloise's unusual strength, she wasn't a big girl; in fact she weighed just a little more than Leigh.

"Put me down, everyone's staring at us," Leigh told her.

"I don't care, I'm just happy to have my best friend back!" Eloise replied as she twirled her around. For one scary second Leigh thought she'd throw her up in the air, but she was relieved when Eloise set her down without causing any more drama.
Katie arrived just as they resumed their seats. 
"I guess I don't have to play referee then?" She noted, sounding relieved.
"You knew?" Leigh and Eloise asked at once.

Katie rolled her eyes; Leigh wasn’t exactly great at being subtle.
Their waiter,roguishly handsome, waltzed to their table to take their order, and the three of them flirted up a storm with him, it was harmless and he was flattered.
They sipped on their wine and exchanged gossip as they waited for their food. 

Somehow the topic moved to Michaela and Cameron.  Eloise and Katie were thrilled when Leigh told them Cameron had gone to see her in Monte Vista and they were slowly working things out.

"So she's coming home soon?"  Katie sounded hopeful, from all the ladies in their small circle, she was closest to Michaela, and she'd missed her a lot since she'd left.

"Not exactly, she's started a band, and she refuses to sign with O+ Records," Leigh explained. 

Katie understood Michaela's reasons, but she hoped it was a decision her friend wouldn't come to regret, record deals don't fall on anyone's lap every day.
Things got a little tense over the main course when Leigh asked after Thornton. Her father-in-law was a sore subject as far as Eloise was concerned.

"He's a good man," Leigh tried to put in a good word for him.

"Who’s trying to get us killed!" Eloise retorted. 

"He's not like that! All you have to do is give him Cruz that's all." Leigh insisted.

"Who's Cruz?" Katie was thoroughly confused; she had no idea what they were on about.

"He's Eloise's maker," Leigh blurted out. 

Katie panicked then. "Stop! Please don't say anything else about this Cruz. I don't want to have to lie to Will."

Leigh and Eloise were only too happy to drop the subject. They would never see eye to on Cruz, so arguing about him was pointless.
After their lunch, they stopped at Fugue, Leigh's art gallery.

The construction guys were still hard at work, so there really wasn't much to see, but Eloise and Katie were excited for Leigh, they knew how much she wanted to get back into painting.
Leigh took them on a quick tour of the gallery, pointing out the different display areas. For her opening night, she planned on having a Renaissance exhibition, but so far she was struggling to source all the artworks.

"I know Will has The Last Supper, and a few others. Maybe he can help you out," Katie suggested.

As much as Leigh liked the idea, she doubted Thornton would want to part with his art, even if it was only for a few days.

They left her gallery shortly after 5pm. Katie had a dinner date with Thornton.  Leigh and Eloise were free for the evening, so they decided to head over to the beach.
They spent over an hour there, watching the sunset, and catching up.
Leigh shared her plans for the gallery, and Eloise told her about her meeting with Cruz and everything she'd learned about him, from him being a gypsy to his sister being held at the science facility.

“Are you going to help him?” Leigh asked. She hadn't changed her mind about Cruz. She didn’t like what he'd done to her best friend, and she still thought he’s trouble. But if his sister was really being held against her will and being experimented on, then the right thing to do would be to help him out.
“I don’t know Leigh. Cruz has put a strain on my marriage, and turned my life upside down for no reason other than the fact that he was hurting and he wanted to lash out at someone. What he did is not right. It’s not fair!” Eloise wailed in her hands.

“I know it’s not right, but there’s a young girl involved and possibly others too.” Leigh gently ran her hand on her back, trying to soothe her.
They sat on the edge of the pier, their feet floating above the dark ocean, and for a little while only the sounds of the waves crashing into each other, and the seagulls flying up above filled the silence between them. 

“Even if I wanted to help him, where would I start? Where would I go?” Eloise spoke at last, a look of utter defeat and hopelessness filled her eyes.

“Speak to Thornton. Tell him what’s going on. He really isn’t as horrible as you make him out to be, after all he did back off when Krisis asked him to, ” Leigh suggested. 

“What about Devon? You know how he feels about Cruz.

Leigh fell silent then. Yes, she knew her brother; he’d go crazy if he knew Cruz was still in the picture. But they couldn’t sit back and turn a blind eye.

“Whatever you decide to do, don’t leave him in the dark.” Leigh said as she got up and stretched her arms, it was getting late, they had to get home. She was about to call Krisis and ask him to pick her up when Eloise offered to take her home.
“Please give this to Krisis,” Eloise handed her a CD cover just as she was about to run inside the house.

“What is it?” Leigh asked as she leaned in to take the CD. 

“It’s your brother’s demo. He’s been meaning to drop it off at O+ Records,” Eloise lied; she knew it was wrong, but she was thinking about the bigger picture…

12 comments:

  1. Lots of intense conversation. It was all important. I hope Eloise actually listens to Leigh though. I get worried she will go into a mind spin and run away, leaving lots of issues behind to catch up to her. Of course Devon will be angry about the CD. He's a very prideful man. I do hope Cruz gets help. There has to be a way that they can see he is not so bad a guy. Maybe if the vampires go after the main wolf, they can resolve the issue. Isn't it when you kill the main wolf the others go back to normal? Loved the update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was important, both Leigh and Eloise needed to have their talk, their friendship is still a long way off from what it used to be, but at least now they are talking and they understand where the other is emotionally and otherwise. Eloise wants to do the right thing, but at this point she's still not sure what the right thing is. True, there's always a risk that she'll run away, but now that she's talked to Leigh she's sort if calmer. Yes, Dev is a very proud man. Help is within reach for Cruz, he just needs to speak to the right people tp get the ball rolling. And he was hoping Eloise woulld help him with that. I think that's how one of the lores go, but since I don't follow that lore, it might be a litle difficult to pull that off. And to be honest,
      I didn't even think as far as the main wolf, initially yes there was supposed to be a whole pack, but then it would have opened up too many storylines, good for story progression if I wanted to keep it going for longer, but since I'd planned on ending it on Volume 6, having
      Cruz as the main player made more sense, this way I could focus on his storyline and give it a suitable ending. OMG, how did I digress so much! I blame you for asking such interesting questions. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. It's still weird for me to think of Katie with Thornton. I don't know why but it is. LOL Krisis' secretary/assistant could be his step-mother LOL. It's just funny.

    I'm glad Leigh and El made up. It's not 100% but at least they are talking and that's a start. Cruz is a sore subject, but Leigh is right, whatever El decides to do telling Devon is the much better option. However in light of what she just did, she proved she's not above lying and going behind Dev's back for what she feels is the 'greater good'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! In my mind, I like to imagine it's just as weird for Krisis and Krimsyn. It would be funny if their songwriter were to become their step mother. But when I started messing with Katie and Thornton's relationship, she was only supposed to come in for a specific reason and for a specific period and I hope the ending will accomplish that goal.

      Yes, the tension between the two was getting out of hand, and it's a good thing Krisis managed to steer them back in the right direction. It would have been such a shame to lose a life-long friendship over something so small in the grandscheme of things.

      Cruz will always be a sore subject, especially since he shares this crazy bond with Eloise. It's something that Elose and Devon will always have to make an active effort to try and be okay with it.

      I think that's what I love about El the most, the fact that she's not afraid to do what she thinks is right, by any means necessary, regardless of the cost. But her actions always have risks and consequences.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. ~ YEAH!!!!!
    ~ It is good to see them friends again,they really do need each other, & the time together went so well, they stayed to catch up after......
    ~ I Think Leigh's advice about trusting Thornton,with the Cruz news, is a very good idea, they really can not sit by & do nothing,when others lives are involved.(And Thornton really needs to know what the Humans are up to,behind every ones back!!!)
    ~ But what to do about Devon,he is so volatile at the moment, & I think what Eloise just did,will make things worse....... I have a bad feeling about this! (I hope I am wrong!!!)
    ~ As always I loved it! (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~LOL. Not sure what the "YEAH" is for. Are you also Team Eloise?
      ~Yes, it's a good thing that Leigh actually listened to Krisis and made ammends with El. They both needed their girl time.
      ~You're right, Thornton could turn out to an ally, but right now El's still not sure she can trust him, especially after the way he barged into her house and threatened her with the VIA.
      ~True, giving the demo to Leigh won't do her relationship any favors. But his happiness means the world to her.
      ~Thanks my friendships!

      Delete
  4. I've missed this story so much! And you!! So glad I could catch up.

    It looks like things are picking up for everyone.

    I love your chapters on Cameron & Mikaela. After everything they deserve to be happily together. I just hope she eventually moves back home. Krimsyn and JD are probably missing her like crazy.

    Hopefully Eloise can find a way out of her sticky situation with Cruz. Could you make him *magically* disappear?? :) They have enough of their own family drama to deal with. I can't believe she went behind Dev's back and sent in the demo! Although... I think I'd do the same. There's no point in Devon keeping his talent to himself. O+ Records could open up so many doors.

    I have a feeling that the Clarke's aren't going to simply forgive the Frosts.. I suspect they will take justice into their own hands? Or at least Mrs Clarke might.

    Fantastic chapters so far!

    Lots of love and hope you're alright xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Trish. You are back. *big, giant, humungous hug*
      Do yo have any idea how much I'd missed you. I'm glad to see you here and I'm happy you could catch up. I know it was a lot to get through.

      Yeah, Mickey and Cam have been through and it took them a while to get to this point but they are on their way to being okay again. Mickey would love to go back to Bridgeport, but right now she's still enjoying her freedom and independence, and she's not ready to let it all go just yet and go back to being a child celebrity.

      Lol, I think you and Leigh would love to see Cruz magically disappear, but I lost my magic wand, so no disappearing spells from me. But I promise, he's got good intentions, he's one of the good guys.

      That's exactly Eloise's thinking, sure sending the demo in was bad, but she can see how being signed on to O+ Records could be beneficial to them as a family, but more importantly to Devon.

      Mr. Clarke just wants put everything behind them, and Mrs. Clarke can't move past her loss. She's highly emotional, and we all know how wrong things can go when people react on emotions.

      Thank you so much for coming back to this.

      Seeing your comment was like seeing a familiar face in an unfamiliar place. Don't vanish again, okay!

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the delay in commenting but started a new shift and that meant getting up early and changing my body clock around.
    Anyway..Loved the first picture of Krisis and Leigh. Afraid of her best friend that's not good but I'm glad they sorted their differences out over dinner. Poor Katie, she knows the name Cruz and now she must feel like a piggy in the middle. Maybe she should tell Thornton but maybe not.
    The galley is lookin good and can't wait for opening night.
    Leigh is right though helping Cruz sister is the right thing to do but tell Devon the plan and don't keep him in the dark and tell Thornton as he could help, I hope.
    Eloise lied about the demo bad, bad Eloise. Devon won't be happy about this and I can see an explosion coming very soon because of that demo.
    Great chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I understand. RL takes precedence over everything else. I hope you've settled in nicely into your new shift.

      Awww, I'm glad you the loved the shot, it's the same one I posted on FB some weeks back.

      It's not Eloise she was afraid of, she was just worried that things would get heated again between them and they'd both say and do things they'll regret, that's why she wanted
      Katie there.

      The gallery is a lot of work, still very far from the picture I have in my head, but it's getting there. And about the opening night, be careful what you wish for *evil smile*

      Yes, helping Cruz is the right thing to do, Eloise is starting to see that now.

      True, sending the demo in was a bad idea, but her intentions were good.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad Eloise and Leigh have made up (I LOVE Leigh's outfit btw). Eloise had to ruin the good moment by passing on Devon's demo. She's just throwing her marriage down the drain, and she's considering helping Cruz too? Oh, Eloise..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I giggled at the waiters and the construction workers eyeing the ladies.
    Hm...about Thornton...I don't know if I'd 100% trust him in matters of Cruz. He also has a job to do, a responsibility to the public. Gah. Politicians. :/
    You already know how I feel about El and the demo.

    ReplyDelete