233. Do What's Right

Warning: language

Bridgeport, present day
Despite all his attempts to get out of his little arrangement, Krisis found himself at his brother-in-law's house. It was the last place he wanted to be, but he'd promised Lily he'd speak to Devon about finding him a job at O+ Records. There were a few positions open, but on the administration side. Krisis doubted Devon would accept his offer. To be honest, he hoped he wouldn't. It was awkward enough at family functions and now if Lily had her way he'd have to put up with Devon's resentment at work too.

"This is fucking ridiculous!" Krisis growled in his seat as he stared at the house. He was so tempted to drive away, but he'd given his word, and he didn't want to let his eldest down. And so he found himself walking up to the front door on legs that felt pretty much like lead, weighed down by the events of the past few weeks.
He rang the bell, and he wasn't really surprised when it went unanswered, it would be hard for anyone to hear anything over the loud music thumping through the walls. It was a catchy tune, a club remix, and it reminded him of his former life, his partying days when he’d drink himself to a stupor and wake up in whichever groupie’s bed he’d gone home with the night before. He didn’t miss those days. 
Krisis knocked again and when Devon still didn't hear his knock, he tried his cell phone; it was obviously close by because his brother-in-law answered almost immediately.

"What’s up?" 

"I’m downstairs, open up!" Krisis told him.

"What do you mean you're downstairs?"

“Exactly that! We need to talk!"
Devon cut the call and the music. A moment later Krisis saw him through the glass on the front door as he ran down the stairs. His hair was a little longer than Krisis remembered, and he guessed the sudden growth had a lot to do with the change.
Devon opened the door, but didn’t invite him inside. “What do you want?”

"Can I come in?" Krisis ignored his question, and without waiting for his response he pushed past him and strolled inside.

Devon closed the door with a little more force, emphasizing his irritation.
"I think you know why I'm here. Everyone’s worried." 

"About?" Devon frowned darkly at him, he could see where this was going and he didn't like it.

"About you and your employment prospects!” Krisis cut to the chase, the sooner he delivered his offer, the sooner he could leave. "There are a few vacancies at O+ Records, give them call and set up an interview-" He'd barely finished his speech when Devon cut him off.

"I don't want your charity," he said in an icy voice, belying the anger burning hot in his eyes.

"I'm not a charitable guy, Devon. Take the job, don't take it, I don't give a shit. But Leigh does and she's worried about you!"
"Tell her not to! I'm fine! I can take care of my family!" Devon crossed his arms and straightened his frame as he glared at Krisis.

"No one doubts that you can-"

"I just told you I've got things under control!" And with that Devon held the door open.
Krisis hesitated for a second or so before he slowly shook his head and walked out. They were more alike than either wanted to admit. He knew if the roles were reversed, he would have reacted in the same manner. They were both proud, and sometimes stubborn as mules too.

"If you change your mind-" Krisis tried again, but Devon shook his head, he wouldn't…





Devon didn't know what made him tell Eloise about Krisis' visit. And he regretted it the minute he did.

Eloise thought he was being selfish, allowing his pride to get in the way.
She was right, of course, but he honestly couldn't bring himself to accept Krisis' offer, especially after Krisis had put in a good word for them with Thornton. He didn't want to be over indebted to the man.
"I just wish for once you could swallow your pride and do what's right Devon!" Eloise hissed as she prepared their supper. Even though Blake was upstairs in his room, out of earshot she was conscious not to raise her voice; the last thing she wanted was to scare their son again.
Devon pulled her close to him and held her, "Look. We'll be fine. I got my severance package; it will help with the bond repayments."

"Until when, Dev? Until it runs out? We need a permanent solution.”
"I know, and I'm working on it-" Devon assured her. And when she still didn't look convinced he went on to tell her about the interview he'd lined up for the following week. He felt pretty confident about it. Granted, it was a small company, one of the few that had survived O+ Records takeovers. He'd have to take a pay cut, but he was determined to prove himself and rapidly make his way to the top.

Eloise took a long, deep breath, trying her best to keep calm. She was happy for him, glad he finally had an interview, but his overconfidence scared her, an interview didn't always guarantee a job.
She was about to tell him this when they heard Blake's door open. Moments later their son bounded into the room, stopping any serious discussion Eloise had hoped to engage in before supper.
Later, after they'd tucked Blake in, Devon went to his studio and Eloise followed him. She wasn't done with their discussion.

"Why didn't you give Krisis the demo then?" She asked as she sat down. 

Devon tensed up behind the recording equipment, his whole face clouded up. His demo was...Private. Personal. Not something he wanted to share with the world.
"Drop it, Eloise. I'm not going to work for Krisis," he growled as he swiveled around in his chair and glared at her, his eyes flashed yellow briefly before they returned to their normal hue.

"You'd be his artist, not his employee, there's a difference." Eloise argued.

"I said no. And that's final!" Devon glared at her for a while and when she wouldn't back down, he got up from his seat.

"I'm going for a run," he said as he left the room.
Eloise listened to his angry footsteps rapidly descend the stairs, moments later she heard the front door bang shut. When she was sure she was alone, she dashed to his desk. She knew he’d be gone for a while so she took her time and looked through his things, careful not disturb too much. If he wouldn't send his demo to O+ Records, then she would...

15 comments:

  1. OMG, she is doing what....Devon will kill her...and don't get me started on Devon and his pride.

    Great chapter though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ the OMG. Yep, she is doing what you think she's doing. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I can already see the blow out between husband and wife. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR! It won't be pretty if Eloise does really send in that demo. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Damnit why won't she just leave well enough alone? Going behind his back to send that demo to Krisis after Dev has said how he feels is not going to end well. I have a feeling he won't see it as the 'good' thing she's hoping it will be, but instead that she doesn't have faith in him or his ability to take care of his family. He'd already taken a blow to his ego since she made more than him to begin with, now he feels like he owes Krisis something. Yep, I just have a bad feeling about all of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about Devon, especially about the fact that his ego had already taken a blow when it came to Eloise earning more than he does. This latest stunt from her, well meaning as it may be, will def not go down well on Dev's part. And the last thing Dev would want, especially after he declined Krisis' job offer is to feel overly indebted to Krisis. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. Poor guys in an awkward situation. Funny how they were both forced by girls. Men and their pride are sometimes just too forceful. It's not like Krisis would be bringing food to the house for them. I don't think Devon is going to be a happy guy when he finds that Eloise shared his demos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, that was an uncomfortable position they were both thrown into. I get what you mean about Krisis not bringing food to the table, but Dev already feels like he owes Krisis too much after he intervened in the Thornton issue. Yep, men and their pride can be a little too forceful. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  5. Go for it, Eloise! She's so right about this... and brave too. :)
    Just a question though: doesn't Krisis know that Devon is a musician? Instead of some admin job, why didn't he suggest to listen to his demo and see if it was any good? (not that Devon's reaction would've been any different I guess...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I probably the only two people cheering Eloise on in this instance. What she did was wrong, and she knows it too, but this is one case where the end will justify the means (In Eloise' mind) so to speak.

      No, Krisis doesn't know that Devon is a musician. Dev studied music and after he graduated he joined Making Tracks as a talent agent. Other than Leigh and Eloise nobody else knows he actually plays the guitar and he's pretty damn good at it, and Krisis has no idea that Devon has an interest in progressive rock and electronic music or the fact that he has a demo. And you're right, Dev's reaction would likely have been the same if he was offered a record deal. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  6. Oh boy. He said it was personal. If she does this, even if O+ Records goes gaga over it, she still betrayed his trust, went behind his back, etc.
    on another note, I get why Devon didn't want to accept the job offer from Krisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are absolutely right, it was personal and she shouldn't have done that. Is she sorry, maybe. Would she do it again? Definitely. El's tired of worrying about their finances while Devon takes his time to get back into the employment line. But she didn't send the demo out malice, on the contrary she sent it because she believes in him, and she thinks he's very good at what he does, and it's shame that he doesn't want to share his talent with the people who will appreciate and nurture it.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  7. ~ OH! NO!
    ~ Eloise, if you think he is angry now,wait till he finds out what you are thinking/doing.....he will not be at all pleased, I hope she thinks this through.............before she does anything.
    ~ I am just worried for their marriage, which, is still on shaky grounds.
    ~ I guess I will have to wait & see if she does the right or wrong thing!
    ~ Loved it BTW (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~LOL. OH NO, indeed!
      ~At this point, it seems a foregone conclusion that she will send the demo in. And you're Dev won't take it lying down.
      ~Their marriage is very fragile, and this is the last thing Eloise should be doing if she wants to save it. On the other hand, she can't sit back and watch Devon waste his talent.
      ~Yeah, it's pretty much a game of wait and see right now.
      ~Thanks, I'm glad you loved it. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  8. Oh Eloise, quit while you're ahead.. On the other hand, Devon needs to swallow his pride and just take the job. Why men are so stubborn, I will never know lol.

    ReplyDelete