On her way home Eloise kept thinking about a plausible explanation she could give to Devon and Blake for the strange outfit, but her brain was too tired to come up with a creative lie. And she felt oddly relieved, maybe it was time she came clean, told them everything about Cruz. Yes, she’d come clean tonight. She decided as she drove through the boom gates of their gated community.
They’d moved into their new place a few weeks back, but they had yet to throw a house warming party. Eloise thought they should do it soon. Devon though wasn’t in the mood to entertain. Come to think of it, Devon wasn’t in the mood for anything lately. And Eloise found herself thinking about Cruz, and how great she’d felt when she’d rested her head on his shoulders. His presence was warm and comforting, but their relationship was messy and complicated. She still couldn’t figure out how she felt about him.
She parked her car in its usual spot in the driveway next to Devon’s before she went out to their backyard, to check on her organic garden. Some of the plants hadn’t sprouted yet, it was too soon. But still, the small patch of dark earth was her pride and joy, and an outlet for the confusion she’d felt over the past few weeks.
She slowly walked towards the house, making a little speech for Devon and Blake. It could get messy if she wasn’t careful, and that is why she had to find the right moment to break the news to them.
“I’m home,” she announced when she let herself into the house. But only silence greeted her back.
In the kitchen she found Devon’s note on the counter, “Gone trick or treating, we waited for you, but it was getting late. Be back soon.”
“Shit!” Eloise slapped her palm on her forehead, she’d clean forgotten about Spooky Day. She knew Blake would be disappointed with her; it was one of his favorite holidays. She had to make it up to him somehow.
She ran upstairs and changed into her own clothes. As she stuffed Cruz’s sweater and his boxer shorts at the back of her closet, she decided maybe Devon and Blake didn’t need to know about Cruz after all. The fact they were out the same evening she’d resolved to tell them the truth was a sign, some things were better off left alone.
Downstairs, she looked through the fridge and her eyes lit up when she saw the pizza dough.Her son had a weakness for pizza.
Sure it wasn’t as big a hit as Spooky Day, but she knew it would earn her some forgiveness from Blake.
She’d just set the table when Devon and Blake walked in an hour later. Her son was dressed as dashing Prince, and his father as a shark...a very angry shark.
She curtsied before her son, “Your Royal Highness, please accept my humble apologies for my tardiness.”
Before long Blake had emptied his candy basket on the counter, showing off all his goodies. Devon headed upstairs without so much as a hello to her and she knew there and then he was thoroughly pissed with her.
He didn’t join them for supper, claiming he had a lot of demos to listen to.
“I think he’s still, we had lots of candy on our way home,” Blake innocently brushed off his father’s attitude as he took a huge bite from his slice.
After she read Blake to sleep, Eloise went to find Devon. He was in his study; he’d converted it into a makeshift studio.
She rapped on the door, but her knocks went unanswered for a few minutes. She wasn’t surprised; whatever he was listening to was really loud, but very good too. Eloise thought she recognized the lyrics, and it took her a second or so to realize they were from So Epic It Hurts, one of the singles from the After Dark album. But the beat was too fast, very different from the original song.
She knocked again, and when she was ignored once more she let herself in.
Devon, with headphones firmly snapped to his ears, was so engrossed in the fancy equipment in front of him he didn’t notice her entrance.
Eloise just stood there for a while, watching his fingers work nimbly on the keys as he remixed K-Infinity’s tune. He’d obviously lied to her; he wasn’t listening to any demo. In fact he seemed to be working on his own.
He suddenly looked up and saw her hovering near the door. A brief look of worry, and something close to guilt flashed in his eyes before he masked it away quickly.
“That’s very good. Does Krisis know?” She asked.
Devon shook his head. “No, it’s just for fun.”
“Maybe you should let him listen to it. I can see it becoming a popular club track.”
“I told you it doesn't mean anything, so just drop it.” His voice was low, but firm too.
Eloise kept quiet after this; she knew when to stop pushing.
She wanted to say something to him, anything, just to bring back the warmth they once shared. But Devon suddenly busied himself with the pile of CDs on his desk, a clear sign that she was dismissed.
She turned to leave but stopped just before she could open the door. Without turning around she addressed him, “Dev, are we okay?”
He took a minute to reply, and it was the longest of her life.
“I don’t know. You tell me, El!”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” She sounded a little too defensive as she rounded on him.
“You are not here, Eloise. You haven’t been here in a long time.You are so damn far away I don't even know even how to reach you anymore. So you need to tell me if we are okay or not!” Devon replied. He was still turned away from her, his cold attitude stung like a bitch.
“You know I’ve been working on the Twinbrook report. But it’s over now. I’ll make time for you and Blake, I promise.”
“That’s what you said this morning.” He reminded her about missing Blake’s Trick or Treating adventure.
“I wanted to be here. Really I did. But…” her voice faded away, and this time Devon gave her his undivided attention as he stood up and glared at her, the look in his eyes was so cold it made her shrink away from him.
“Tell me, Eloise, what was so damn important this time that you couldn’t be here for your son?”
“I-uh-eh…” She couldn’t lie to him. No matter how hard she racked her brain for an excuse, nothing came to mind.
“I see.” Devon nodded his head and turned back to his music.
“I’m sorry, Dev. I’ll try harder, I promise.”
Devon said nothing in response to her heartfelt promises.
“I love you.” She told him as she reached behind her to open the door.
She lingered on the threshold, waiting to hear him say the words back. He didn’t though. Instead, he tore her heart to pieces with his statement. “Don’t wait up for me. I’ll sleep in the guest room tonight.”
They’d fought before, screamed and yelled and smashed things, but they always managed to come back from it. But this time they were doing a different kind of fighting, a silent, cold war of some sorts. It was new to her, and she didn’t know what to make of it.
She tried to speak up, to reach out to him again, but a heartbroken sob caught in her throat, preventing her from saying all the things she wanted to say to him.
She turned on her heel.

























ugh!!!!!
ReplyDeleteUgh, those two jerks! ... Eloise better tell Devon something before he finds another man's clothing in his house. Hidden at that. I can't believe she actually thought Cruz was comforting. Oh my goodness Eloise and Devon are on the road to no return. :( I get that he is angry that she's so changed, I understand that, and I think that here Devon is in the right. Eloise should be up front and honest with him about everything, it would make the crap he is dealing with easier for him. I know she doesn't know everything on his plate, but when he reaches for her, his wife and soul, where the heck is she? Pouting on the shoulder of another guy. I guess I am a bit offended by Eloise's mixed up way of thinking. She is missing so many things by not being upfront with Devon.
Lol @ "those two jerks"
DeleteDevon finding Cruz's clothes hidden in their closet is a huge possibility and could possibly end their marriage because he'll jump to the wrong conclusions. Hopefully El gets to come clean or get rid of the clothes first before he finds them. They are headed down a dark road, and if neither steps in they might not find their way back. And you're right, he can't reach for her because he can sense she's not there with him, which makes his loneliness all the more painful. Perfectly understandable, she hasn't made the smartest of decisions lately.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Those two are keeping too many secrets from each other. Dev hasn't told her he's been fired I take it and so he's dealing with self pity over not being the bread winner. Plus he's probably jealous that she does have a job and one that pays a lot more than his did. That is a hard pill for some men to swallow and Dev is choking on it.
ReplyDeleteEl well she's just being kinda stupid (sorry) she already saw what keeping the first secret about who she was hidden did to them and yet she's doing it again. Only this time it's worse since there is another man involved one she was thinking about on her way home to her husband and child and they weren't all bad thoughts. She's just messing up with everything and if she's not careful everything that has ever meant anything to her will be lost. She's already strained her relationship with Leigh and now this. Leigh told her that night to tell Dev so top of using her powers which is something she didn't' want to do, she's now also keeping secrets from her brother. El needs to get her shit together and fast.
Dev needs to man up and tell her the truth about his job situation and stop wallowing in his freaking self pity.
He wasn't fired, the company went bankrupt and they were laid off, and yes, he hasn't told her about losing his job. His own little secret is adding on to the tension in their relationship. He's always prided himself on being a provider, when his parents died, he practically raised Leigh and put her through college, and when he married Eloise, even though she made more money that him, he didn't mind because he was able to provide for his share of responsibilities, and now that only thing he'd done so well has been taken away from him, he feels a little lost and somewhat resentful.
DeleteShe sees it as being cautious, with the way things have been between them lately, she knows the last thing Devon wants to hear is that Cruz is back in her life. It's messy and complicated, all the more so because it involves Cruz. The last thing she wants though is to lose everything she has, especially her family and best friend. If only she could listen to you and get her shit together fast, it would make their lives so much better.
Devon isn't wallowing in self-pity, he's lost a job, it's a big change in his life, and I see it more as depression than anything else, and it isn't unusual when someone's circumstances changes drastically. But he does need to let her in and share his burdens with her.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Aw, you're breaking my heart, Val! :(
ReplyDeleteEloise is really beginning to worry me, and I'm concerned that Cruz is going to steal her away from Devon. Now, I don't necessarily mean that in the sense of an affair, but I can see him slowly take her attention away from her family even if his intentions are harmless. It's basically inevitable that she would have a double life since she's a shapeshifter, but it seems like she's beginning to spend a bit more time in the new life than her old life. I'd like to see El get whatever it is that she wants from Cruz and then come back home to her boys (and hopefully, they'll both have open arms for her) And I sure as hell hope that these "feelings" El has for Cruz aren't actual feelings.
Aw, I'm sorry, I don't mean to. They are breaking my heart too. Here's a *hug* for you. I promise I'll go easy on your heart over the next few updates.
DeleteWith the thoughts that she was having about Cruz, I can see why you'd worry about him stealing her away from Devon. I'd like to think she takes her marriage vows seriously and she wouldn't walk into an affair with her eyes wide open, but since Cruz is her maker, they do share an inexplicable connection and it's not something that they can turn off at will. Hopefully they learn to distance themselves from it, because you're right, Devon and Blake would be devastated if El were to leave them for Cruz.
I like what you said about "her boys" it's so sweet, And yes, she def needs to come back to her boys. They have both missed her.
Thanks for reading and commenting, and for your continued support, it really means the world to me that you are still reading Krisis.
I was cheering when I read she would tell them. She came in all excited and ready to tell them too and they weren't home :( I'm glad Blake wasn't upset with her about missing trick or treating, and I'm sure Devon isn't upset about that either. I think a lot of his anger stems from him keeping secrets of his own and he's lashing out on Eloise. Although, I'm sure her absence doesn't help. They both need to tell each other EVERYTHING they've been holding back. I hate to see them like this :(
ReplyDeleteAnd I was smiling when I read the first part of your comment, imaging you cheering. Sorry, it didn't go the way you'd hoped, El is making bad choices lately.
DeleteYou are so right, a lot of his resentment, stems from his work situation too, and keeping it from Eloise.
Yes, they do need to open up and just talk, lay it all out in the open.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
:'( Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI don't even know what to say! Just NOOOOOOOOOO! D:
I think El should explain to Dev about Cruz. I can see him finding the shirt and boxers and getting the wrong idea and it all just getting worse. They need to sit down and tell each other everything. They've clearly both got things bothering them, so they just need to spill it, get it all out in the open so they can start working on it. Please, guys! Think of the child!! *sob*
I feel your pain.
DeleteYep, if he does find the undies he won't be happy. For their marriage's well-being, let's hope he doesn't.
You're right, a sit down between these is two is long overdue.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
What???? NO!!! El, woman, what the hell are you doing???? Okay, I'm rather pissed off with her right now >:-(.
ReplyDeleteI hope these two won't split up or anything, they've always been my favourite couple, but things are not going good for them, apparently.
"And Eloise found herself thinking about Cruz, and how great she’d felt when she’d rested her head on his shoulders." <---This line has me worried. Is she developing feelings for Cruz? I don't have anything against him (yet), but he's not Devon >:-(!
Great update, by the way! :-D
I can understand why you're pissed off at her. A lot of people are, she hasn't been making the wisest decisions of late, and they may come back to cost her in the long run.
DeleteAw, that's so sweet, I'm happy that these two are someone's favorite couple. As for splitting up, things don't look promising right now.
She's intrigued by Cruz, and she finds his whole demeanor fascinating, plus since he's maker they do share a bond, whether that bond will remain platonic remains to be seen.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Okay wow...she has to come out with the truth and just tell him everything, he will understand and if he doesn't then well...he's not willing to. But she has to come out with the truth! Otherwise I don't think their relationship will last much longer :/
ReplyDeleteI hope she gathers the confidence to tell him and maybe he could help her out somehow!
Why are your pictures so good?!?
Yes, she does need to be open with Devon, he probably would understand, but he'd be livid that she kept the truth from him again.
DeleteI think the only person who can really help her with Cruz right now is Thornton.
Thanks for reading and commenting, and for the compliment on the pictures, you are too nice!
Well damn.
ReplyDeleteEl needs to tell him about Cruz, certainly, but I can understand her reticence because Devon will probably have a duck fit with that news. It could possibly make things worse; however, in making things worse, things will come clean and they can pick up the pieces -- if they want to.
That said, Devon also needs to share his concerns with Eloise. Him keeping all his troubles to himself only makes him more susceptible to other emotional pain.
There's no easy way out of this.
You're right, Devon would not have taken the news about Cruz well, especially since he was already pissed at her for missing Blake's outing.
DeleteIf only they could take your advice and come clean with each other, it would make their life so much easier.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
LOL @ idiot Devon. I think it should be "idiot El" too, because Devon needs her just as much as she needs him, and they are both drifting in opposite directions.
ReplyDeleteYes please, come into my game and give them a nice head bang (yuk, that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean!"
Thanks for reading and commenting.
~ Devon,you should of said "I love you" straight away instead of hesitating,you hurt El, because she thinks now, you do not love her anymore!!!!!!
ReplyDelete~ These two need to sit down & TALK, about everything,as they are both hiding from the truth,& need to bring it out into the open,& talk it through,if they love each other enough they will work it all out, & come out of this with a stronger bond!
~ If they don't they will keep drifting apart.
~ I love it,but hope these two can work it out,if not for each other, for their son! (",)
True, he shouldn't have hesitated. But he's angry and she's distant. A good recipe for misunderstandings.
DeleteYeah, they do need to sit down and talk.
Drifting apart is not good.
Thanks for reading and commenting.