176. Too Much To Ask

Bridgeport, present day...
Two days after she became Mrs. Frost Leigh had a touch of Déjà Vu when Krisis walked in to the dining room with a bouquet of yellow roses and an unreadable look in his eyes.

From past experience, she knew who the flowers were from and she had no idea how to feel about his gesture. She still owed him a lunch date. Or was it dinner? Did it even matter now?
“You have an admirer,” Krisis murmured as he handed her the flowers.

Leigh hesitated before she took them; she looked like she was afraid the roses would scorch her hands or something. Or maybe it was Krisis reaction she was really afraid of.
                                                                  
“Congratulations.” The note read. Nothing more.  Just one word. But Leigh was still touched.
Without saying anything else, Krisis turned on his heel and left the room.

Leigh wanted to run after him, call him back, tell him the flowers didn’t mean anything and she wouldn’t keep them if he didn’t want her to. But she just stood there and stared dumbly at the roses, trying her damnedest not to bury her nose in their sweet scent.
She was touched anew  when Krisis came back with a vase a minute later.

“Does this mean I can keep them?” She asked through her tears.

“Sure you can.”

“Thank you,” Leigh sprung to his arms and kissed him, but she was careful not to squash her precious flowers.

“Your happiness means everything to me, Leigh. I know how important it is to you to see me get along with Thornton. I will try, for you. And if you still want to have dinner with him, I won’t stop you.” Krisis told her as he untangled himself from her embrace.
Just then Lily and Ariel toddled into the room hand in hand.

“Flowers,” Ariel squealed.

“They are so pretty,” Lily clapped her hands, showing her approval. She was talking nonstop now, and asking a lot of questions too. But Leigh loved every moment of it.
Later she called Thornton, and she was disappointed when Celina informed her he was in a conference with the human government.

Celina asked if she wanted to leave a message. Leigh didn’t. She’d just wanted to thank him for the flowers.
As she watched her husband play with their kids on the deck, Leigh wanted to do something nice for Thornton, to thank him for everything he’d done for her and Krisis.
The “something nice” for Thornton, turned out to be a scrapbook.
It wasn’t much, just a collection of photos and memorabilia of their family. 
With the help of all four kids, and Krisis, it took Leigh a week to make and she was pleased with the end result.

Krisis was a little jealous of Thornton when she’d showed it off during a Saturday afternoon braai. He wanted a copy and so did Krimsyn and J.D., as well as Eloise and Devon.

“You have the kids, he doesn’t. This is all he’ll have,” she’d reminded them and they’d grudgingly agreed.
Now, as she got ready to leave for her meeting with Krisis’ father, she couldn’t help but think maybe the scrapbook was a silly thing to give to a man like him.
“Do you think he’ll like it? I mean, he’s wealthy and stuff, he must be used to expensive gifts?” Leigh asked Krisis.
“He’ll be a fool not to like it!  And I’ll gladly keep it if he doesn’t want it,” Krisis assured her with a kiss.
He insisted on driving her to the VC headquarters, but he didn’t come in with her.
He didn’t want to intrude, it was her moment with Thornton, he’d already popped in during the week to thank him for helping them with the wedding.
Thornton was seated at his desk, his door was open but Leigh knocked anyway.

He pushed aside the thick volume he’d been occupied with before her arrival. Their eyes connected and held. He looked amused and pretty much pleased with himself; like he knew all along that sooner or later she’d roll over and come running to him.

“Ashleigh,” he greeted her as he rose from his chair and beckoned for her to come inside.
Leigh took a few steps forward and stopped.

She was nervous. She had no idea what to say to him.

Did she throw herself at his feet and beg for forgiveness for the way she’d talked to him the last time they met? Or did she throw her arms around him and thank him for being there for Krisis when he needed him the most over the past weeks and for making their wedding possible?

“Come in, I don’t bite,” Thornton smiled. It was Krisis’ smile. And Leigh felt herself relax.

“Okay,” she laughed, a short nervous sound, as she closed the door behind her.
“What can I do for you, Ashleigh?” He asked, hovering close to his desk.

“Please call me Leigh,” she told him.

“Okay, Leigh, it’s nice to officially meet you,” In a flash he stood in front of her. He took her hand and kissed it gallantly. He was a charmer, and Leigh could see where her son got his skills from, besides his daddy of course.
“I came to drop this off. It’s a gift from me and Krisis, to thank you for everything you’ve done for us. I also wanted to apologize for my behavior when we first met. I had no right to speak to you in that manner, and it wasn’t my place to judge you,” she held out her hand, their fingers brushed lightly as he took the gift box from her.
 A delighted sound rushed through his lips when he looked inside and found the scrapbook.

For a long time Thornton seemed to be lost in his own little world; he leafed through the pages and cooed over the photos of the kids, smiling and laughing at her commentary.
“Thank you. It’s the most thoughtful thing anyone has ever done for me,” Tears glistened in his eyes when he finally peeled himself from the scrapbook.

“You’re welcome,” Leigh swallowed back her own tears, she’d had no reason to worry, he loved her gift.
“Would you like to sit with me, and tell me all about the photos and the kids?” He asked when he saw she was about to leave.

Even if she’d wanted to, she couldn’t have said no, he sounded eager and lonely, like he rarely had anyone to talk to. And Leigh realized then she wanted to spend a little more time with him. She wanted to know him and understand his motivations; but she also wanted to see Krisis through his eyes.

“I’d like that,” she murmured as she took a seat in one of the armchairs.
Thornton buzzed Celina and asked her to bring in some refreshments before he joined Leigh and opened the scrapbook again.

“So, tell me about this one-” he laughed as he pointed at a picture of Kristian playing with a small set of drums, a gift from Krimsyn and J.D.

Over small cups of espresso and croissants, smiles and laughs were shared and a quiet understanding was born, they had much more in common than they’d initially thought, they were on the same team, there was nothing they wouldn’t do for Krisis.
Much later, with the scrapbook aside and their cups empty, Leigh found herself drawn to the big glass windows. Thornton joined her and they both watched the city come alive under the darkening sky.

“You still owe me dinner,” Thornton reminded her as he bumped her shoulder gently.

Leigh smiled. “I know. It’s just that with everything going on, I just need a little more time, to get my bearings.”

“I understand. Whenever you’re ready.”

She could just hug him then, she liked that he wouldn’t push her or force matters. And for that reason, dinner with him was quickly added on her bucket list of things to do before everything went up in flames.
“You know about Ariel’s prediction, right?” Leigh turned slightly from the window to look at him.

Thornton nodded, but said nothing.

“She did exceptionally well in her tests. It’s inevitable. I know it. And Krisis knows it too. That’s what scares him the most, knowing there’s nothing in the world he can do to prevent it. If it’s not natural or accidental, and it turns out to be Beau, Krisis will want to retaliate. I need you to promise me you won’t let him, you’ll do everything in your power to make him walk away from it,” she pleaded with him.

Thornton looked devastated. She was asking for the impossible. He could deal with their vampire community with swiftness and ease, but Krisis was…law unto himself, especially where she was concerned. He’d proven it plenty of times in the past.
Leigh knew it was unfair, what she was asking of him, but she didn’t know anyone else who would be tough with Krisis. She couldn’t go to J.D., Cameron and Devon; they’d all feed and fuel his rage, and maybe, just maybe, help him get revenge.

“What’s so bad about revenge?” Thornton asked.

Leigh could see right through him, he wanted her to keep talking, so he could buy himself time and avoid making promises to her.

“You become its slave. If Krisis retaliates, someone will want to retaliate for Beau and it will never end, it will be one big vicious cycle. The kids will need him, and they should be his only concern.” Leigh explained.
 A sharp rap on the door pulled them from the window.  Krisis rushed through.

“You said I should pick you up?” He reminded Leigh from the door.

Thornton rushed up to him and offered his congratulations once more, allowing Leigh a brief moment of respite to compose herself.
When she finally approached Krisis, the tears that had clouded her eyes just moments before, were gone.

They left shortly after that, with Leigh feeling vaguely disappointed because Thornton had not made her the one promise she needed...

26 comments:

  1. Poor Leigh worried for Krisis and his sanity but we all know without her he would crumble. Asking Thornton to stop his son would be near to impossible as he'd properly help him instead if anyone hurt Leigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA! You read super fast!

      She's hoping he won't crumble without her for the sake of their kids. And I think you're right about Thornton, he probably would help him, but Leigh went to him specifically because he's more rational, and when it comes down to it, he would talk some sense into him.

      Thanks for reading! I still have this stupid flu, I'm going to die in front of the TV now. Chat with you later on FB!

      Delete
  2. Wow. She and Thornton are forming a weird but workable relationship. I think both of their gestures are sweet and I hope he is able to do what she asked him. Krisis will need to be there for the kids should something happen to Leigh and he can't save her. He can't get caught up in the revenge and the pain when he will have them to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaz,

      I don't know about weird, but workable definitely. You're right, the kids will need Krisis if and when he loses Leigh, that's why she felt the need to speak to Thornton, he's probably the only person who can set him straight.

      Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  3. Loved it! ☻ I hope you feel better very soon. ☻ ☻

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leigh and Thornton have an awesome father-daughter in law relationship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they're off to a good start. I see them getting along very well. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. ~ That was so,so sweet,Leigh was worried more on Krisis reaction to the flowers,even though the gesture touched her,because if it was not for him they would not be married yet & would have missed the deadline!
    ~ Next Krisis walks in with a vase!Love it!
    ~ I love the children pictures, so cute,& them helping make the scrap book with family pictures,way too cute,but then, everyone wanting the finish book,was precious!
    ~ To Thornton, that would be a priceless gift, to someone that has everything that money can buy,Leigh could not have picked a more appropriate gift,it will become his most prize possession,after his family of course!
    ~ I just knew she would ask him to keep a raine on Krisis if anything happens to her!
    ~ But that would be an almost impossible task, & I would not even be surprised that Thornton helps out, as he has grown to love his new Daughter in law!
    ~ Loved every picture & every word,keep up the exceptional work,& more when you feel better!*((((((HUGGLES)))))))* (",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -Yeah, considering how things turned out the last time Thornton sent her flowers, Leigh was really worried about Krisis' reaction.
      -LOL, yes, it was a nice surprise when he came back with the vase, he's not much of a talker, and he can only show her through his actions how much she means to him.
      -I agree, it was thoughtful of Leigh to make him the scrapbook, for now, until he has full access to his grandchildren, it's the best thing ever.
      -She sees Thornton as the "no nonsense" kind of guy and she was hoping he'd reel Krisis in when the time comes, but yeah it's quite a thing she asked him to do.
      -Thank you so much for that, and for your constant support and encouragement, you of all people know what a headache this season has been to write, and I'm still struggling with the finale :(
      -If only I could rest and get better, I'm back at work today, still feeling like shit. At least tomorrow is another public holiday, so I plan to just sleep the whole day again.

      Delete
  6. That was a very sweet gift for Thornton. I am happy to see they are on a friendly name term now. Leigh really put him on the spot though asking him something so very important and difficult. I am rather glad she left without his promise. I think his preventing Krisis doing something in retaliation, if anything happens to Leigh, would really cause an irreparable rift between father and son. Wars on more than one side if that happened. It is a tough situation.

    The pictures were positively adorable. :)
    Rest, relax, snuggle into a blankie on the sofa and feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fae,

      Agreed on the gift, it was nice and thoughtful of Leigh. And agreed again on her putting him on the spot like that. She asked for the impossible, considering how fragile Thornton's relationship is with Krisis. But she felt she had no one else to turn to.

      Thank you for the compliment on the shots. I love shooting scenes with the kiddies and dressing them up, all their clothes are so bright and colorful.

      I can only relax and snuggle into a blankie tomorrow :(

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. Delightful chapter, I think Thornton was right not to make any promises... Yet. Everyone needs to settle in and enjoy the present before getting enthralled with the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QK,

      Thank you! And I think you're right, for now they should just enjoy being newly weds, but with Ariel's predictions hanging over her head, it's difficult for Leigh to be completely happy.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. That was such a touching gift that Leigh gave Krisis. As lonely as he is, I can just see him pulling out the album over and over again! I'm glad that his children are slowly letting him into their lives and that he is getting a chance to get closer to them and to their families. Maybe he won't be as lonely now!

    Leigh is so right about the vicious cycle of revenge! It shows just how much she knows and loves Krisis that she wants Thornton to make that promise. However, I think that now that he is getting to know his daughter-in-law himself and becoming fond of her, he might would want revenge too if someone harmed her!

    My favorite picture is the one of Thornton and Leigh standing in front of the window with the beautiful view of the city and water! Those are the kinds of views that I love to look at in real life! They are always so relaxing and calming for me. Loved it like always Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisies,

      You know what, I can just see Thornton do that too, with the album. He'll cherish it always. True, and a lot of his kids's sudden change is due to Leigh's relationship with Krisis. The next chapter is NV day, and the whole clan will be together under one roof. I dread shooting that chapter because it's so long :(

      Agreed on Leigh, she knows her husband very well, and she knows he'll burn all his energy on getting even, he'll lose sight of what's important, and she can't afford to have him do that.

      And I was having such a bitch of a time shooting this chapter, my heart wasn't in it. I'm glad that shot is your favorite, it's mine too. If only I could have a view as amazing as the one Thornton has.

      Fun Fact: The VC headquarters is situated in the same place where Krisis' old house on the cliff used to be. And when I had to shoot scenes at Krisis' old house, I'd bulldoze the VC headquarters and vice versa.

      Thank you so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. Loved this, of course.

    Thornton can be such a sweet, little pushover when it comes to stuff about his kids and grandkids! I just love him for that. I'm so glad he's not a bad guy, I just have to say that finally.

    I love the pics of the two of them as the city lights of beautiful Bridgeport came on. Things like that make it real.

    I wish Leigh would stop being so doom and gloom. I know WHY she's being like that, but I have hope that Krisis will make it in time. I guess she's just being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best. Still, I don't like the panicked feeling I get when she talks about her dying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mypalsim1

      Thank you so much for your comment, it was a wonderful surprise.

      Thornton is a big pushover when it comes to his family and he is a decent guy when you get to know him.

      I love that sequence too, and it wasn't planned. The day just got away from me when I was shooting this chapter, it was supposed to be a day chapter.

      I'm so glad you understand why she's being all doom and gloom and I love that you have hope Krisis will come through for them, but with Ariel's exceptional gift, they all know it's inevitable. Leigh wants to make sure Krisis will be fine when the shit hits the fan. But I think she may have listened to you because this is really the last chapter she talks about her impending fate.

      Thank you so much for reading and for your comment.

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad Leigh finally gave in and visited Thornton. It's nice to know he is a good guy after all, and just wants what's best for his grandchildren. It's also nice that Thornton is there for Leigh, as she never had a good father. As many people have said - I love her scrapbook idea, I think it's the perfect gift for Thornton, he is slowly becoming part of his grandchildren's lives.
    Really enjoying your story, and I read every chapter, it's fast becoming one of my favourite stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Thornton is a good guy, there's nothing he wouldn't do for his family. Leigh's visit was long overdue.And I like what you said about him being there for Leigh since she never had a good father.

      I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  11. I think it's good that Thornton is kept in the family loop. I'm sure the scrapbook will be invaluable to him. As usual this chapter proves that Thornton really does care about his kin. Also that they all are getting closer to him as well. It must be a pleasant surprise to Thornton, I mean thinking back on how he was introduced him and his relationships with Leigh and Krisis have come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aeon,

      He'll treasure the scrapbook and he def cares about his family, there's nothing he wouldn't do for any of them. It's a great feeling, for Thornton, seeing his kids slowly allow them into their lives. They've all def come a long way, especially Thornton and Krisis.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  12. Good chapter. I can understand why she asked him but I can also understand why he can't promise her something like that. Leigh is so brave talking about her upcoming death so easily, I would have cried my eyes out on Thornton shirt. Not that, that is a punishment. haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dutchy,

      Thanks! Like you, I see both sides. And I agree, she is pretty brave, I'd be devastated too.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  13. Finally moved and settled, catching up, I've missed a lot it seems!

    I so hope that prediction does not come true. Krisis knows the kids needs him but he needs Leigh, I can't say that if someone did something to my husband I wouldn't hunt them down. I know what she is trying to do, she is thinking of the kids and Krisis, wanting them to be happy if anything ever happens to her, bit I'm thinking an unsuspecting tree better fall on her head else wise someones gonna get hurt.

    The scrapbook was an awesome idea and Thornton seemed to truly love it...edenz~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eden,

      Thanks so much for catching, it's always great to see a comment from you and hear your thoughts.

      Krisis and Leigh would love for the prediction not to come true, and Leigh's just preparing for the worst, but it was an unfair thing to ask. Krisis won't back down if it gets to that point.

      Yes, Thornton did seem thrilled with the scrapbook.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete