169. Intrigued

Bridgeport, present day...
For the next few days Thornton avoided O+ Records. He didn’t want to run into Katie. He didn’t want to think about her or her song either, but she was proving to be a demon, tormenting his sleep and waking moments.

He couldn’t listen to the After Dark album without seeing her face, or imagining her voice.

She’d enmeshed herself in his life without even trying, the words to her song were thoroughly engraved in his heart too, and no matter how hard he tried he just couldn’t forget them. Or her.
“Are you going to mope for the rest of your very long life or ask her out?” Celina finally had the guts to confront him about his mood.

Her question confused him, and he found himself frowning up at her, “What?”

“The girl you’re pining for,” his PA replied as she snapped her file shut; he’d just finished dictating some notes to her.
“I’m not pining for anyone,” he growled harshly. He hated being so transparent, hated it even more that Celina knew him so well.

“If you say so,” Celina shrugged.

“I’m too old to be pining for anyone.” Thornton mumbled. He wasn’t sure though who he was trying to convince, himself or Celina.
“Bullshit. You can never be too old for love. Look at me. I never thought it would happen, but Charles makes me so happy,” she danced around the office singing one of Pavarotti’s tunes.
“He’s taking me to the Opera tonight,” she announced as she leaned over his desk and blew him a kiss.

“I still don’t know what you see in him,” Thornton frowned. He liked Cameron, he was a nice guy. He tolerated Zahara, she was his oldest ally, but Charles was as slippery as a fish, so unlike Cameron and their father.

“Each to his own,” Celina retorted. At the door she turned back. “Just ask her to dinner. It can’t hurt.” With that she left him alone.
Much to his chagrin, he found himself taking Celina’s suggestion. He knew he’d never be able to get Katie out of his head if he didn’t explore his fascination with her.

At O+ Records, Krisis was surprised he wasn’t there to see him, and he reluctantly told him where he could find their song writer.

He found Katie in the conference room. She was alone.
Music sheets and notepads lined every inch of the long table. Five or so cups, all empty, were thrown around the surface too. Judging by the dark stains inside, Thornton guessed she was a caffeine junkie.

One pencil was stuck behind her ear, another defied the law of gravity somehow by holding up her rich dark hair high on her head, and the third was caught between her long, elegant fingers as she scribbled something, words he was convinced were being written with the sole purpose of haunting him.
“Have dinner with me,” he got straight to the heart of his visit as soon as he clicked the door in place.

Her “No!” was firm. And it was said with no hesitation whatsoever. A first for him. And he was intrigued.

“Why not?” He demanded.
“I don’t want to have dinner with you Mr. Thornton,” Katie shrugged her shoulders before she returned her attention to the song she was working on.
“That’s not a reason,” he pointed out, forcing her to hold his gaze. He didn’t even know why he was still talking to her. Normally he wouldn’t waste his time on a human. They were unworthy, undeserving of his attention. But Katie, rather her song, fascinated him. He felt compelled to know her.
“Okay, I don’t have dinner with strangers. How’s that for a reason?” She shot back. Coming from any other person her statement would have sounded childish and inane and he wouldn’t have bothered with her after that, but from her it sounded perfectly logical.
“I’m William Thornton. Second in Command of the Vampire Council. I oversee the Vampire community in Bridgeport. Up until recently I didn’t have a relationship with my kids, Krisis and Krimsyn. But now I do and I’m grateful-” His voice faltered.

“We are not strangers anymore,” he added flatly when it became apparent Katie wasn’t entertaining him.”

“Yes we are! You just told me who you are. But you don’t know anything about me, so that makes us strangers,” she reasoned with a smile.

“That’s where you’re wrong. I know everything about you Katie Nicole Callaghan.”

“Like?”

Thornton rattled off a few facts about her, things most people didn’t know, like her parents and best friend, the high school she went to, her accomplishments, the awards she’d won as a songwriter, Sean, her first and only last boyfriend.
“You did a background check on me?” She sounded angry and worried at the same time.
“I always do a background check on the people my children choose to associate with,” Thornton explained.

“And you remembered all this how?”

“I’m a vampire. An ancient one at that so my memory, like other things, is very good,” he smiled arrogantly. He didn’t know it, but at that moment from where Katie sat, he looked a lot like Krisis.
“My answer is still no.” Katie brushed off his advances again as got up from her seat and hurried towards the door.

He could read her like a book. She wasn’t playing hard to get, she just wasn’t interested and it bothered him.

“Why?” He asked. 
“I just don’t want to have dinner with you. And quit whining. No one likes a whiny man,” she told him coolly over her shoulder as she let the room. And all Thornton could do was to stare after her with his jaw on the floor.

Nobody, no woman, except for Leigh, had ever dared to talk to him in that manner. And he wasn’t sure if he liked it. But intrigued he was. Now more than ever.

On the short drive to his office, he found himself thinking about Katie and Krimsyn’s impending lunch. He wondered if the songwriter was invited. He hoped she was. And he also hoped she didn’t have a plus one…

20 comments:

  1. Oh I really like Katie! She told him exactly what she thought. She didn't care who he was!

    You can see how shocked Thornton is! I love the way this is going, Val! I'm still smiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Thornton is not used to hearing "no", it was a first for him in a very long time and he's intrigued. I'm glad this put a smile on your face. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Great chapter. I love them together. She will be good for him. He is to arrogant for his own good.
    Loved the chapter. Can't wait to read more about them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them together too. I think they'll be good together if they can both get past their baggage. LOL @ "he is too arrogant for his own good." Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Not my favorite chapter, I'm more than a little bit jealous of Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I hear you and I understand.
      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. I've just really started reading this, i have lots of back tracking to do but i do love Katies' personality...poor Thorton/snicker, having never been told no I imagine he;s going through however many hundreds years of experience goin wtf!=b...looking forward to reading more and learning more...edenz`

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Eden, you've found your way here. It means a lot to me, and thank you for checking the story out, I hope you enjoy the chapters.

      Yes, Thornton was definitely stumped.

      Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  5. Wow she turned him down! I can't believe it. She didn't seem rattled or confused at his advance. So either she has a great poker face or she isn't really scared of Thornton.

    Little does she know this will probably only make him chase her harder. :P It's cute and I think this will be fun to see where it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she turned him down. We'll find out in a few chapters if she has a great poker face or not.

      I think he won't stop now until he's figured out exactly what it is she's awakened in him. I hope it is fun for you to read as much as it was fun for me to write. Thanks so much for your feedback.

      Delete
  6. I am laughing so much... This was great. Shot down, whoomf! hehehehe
    She called him whiny... The pictures are great... I love the last one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's got balls of steel, to speak to him like that. And he seems impressed. I'm so excited for these two. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  7. Lol, go Katie! '-And quit whining. No one likes a whiny man.' I almost fell out of the computer chair when I read that. Great chapter, Valpre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cadence, beautiful name that is. The main character in my other story, The Forsaken is also Cadence, and like you she seems to have a love for music. I guess it's in the name.

      Thanks so much for giving Krisis a chance and for your feedback. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. I think Katie held her own very well. Thornton will have to work hard if he is to get that date lol

    I just hope he's willing to give it his best shot and best of luck as Katie will try to fight her feelings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on Katie, she did surprise him. And as for the date, now more than ever he'll be eager to get her to accept.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  9. lol, Well Thornton's approach could use a little work I think. It was a bit arrogant and very Thornton. I guess he expected his position and him being Thornton and all that it would be enough to get a 'yes' from any woman especially some human. I'm sure though this is part of what draws him to Katie that this she is not like the other women.

    I dunno for me it's kind of hard to see them together any ways. Perhaps that's just me.

    Either ways the chapter was great as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO at your comment Aeon. I think you're right, he could use some work in the "charming" department. He didn't expect to be turned down, it was a refreshing surprise.

      I can see why you can't imagine them together, and I'm glad you brought that up, a later chapter deals with that. They are complete opposites, but as the old cliche goes, opposites attract.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  10. Well well, it's good to see Katie isn't so easily flattered. I get the feeling Thornton just likes a challenge, must have been centuries since he's come across one. I just hope his assertiveness & persistence doesn't cause too much damage. Can't wait to see how this develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thornton loves a challenge, and Katie's lack of interest has stoked his fire even more.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete