Written in collaboration with Fae/Zhippidy
Bridgeport, present day...
Hours after her run in with Thornton, Katie was still in the strange mood he’d left her in. She didn’t know what to make of him. From the stories she’d read and heard about him, he wasn’t a likeable man, but the sadness and loneliness she’d sensed from him told her something else. He was a mix of contradictions, a bag full of complications and she realized then she didn’t want to think about him anymore. She didn’t even want to remember his bewilderment in Krisis’ office.
A knock on her front door pulled her away from the darkening sky beyond her window.
She was surprised to find Cameron.
“I brought some pizza, I hope you have wine?” he smiled at her, waving the large box in front of her.
She moved aside to let him in, she could use the pizza and the company after the weird day she’d had.
Cameron went to the kitchen to get glasses and the bottle of wine. And she put on a movie. It was a crime thriller. Cameron liked all things detective. And she knew Michaela loved it too, it’s one of things they had in common.
“So what brings you over?” She asked ten minutes into the movie, it had failed to grab their attention in the first five, it was a lost cause.
“Am I that transparent?” Cameron asked between bites of his slice.
“Sure you are,” she laughed as she picked at her food.
Cameron wasn’t the type to beat around the bush. He told her what was on his mind. It was Mickey. Ever since Joshua resurfaced she was a different person. He wasn’t worried about their relationship or her feelings for him. It was just that she’d grown very reserved lately, she closed up at the mere mention of Joshua and if he didn’t know better he’d think something had happened between them.
“Why don’t you talk to her about it, ask her what’s going on?” Katie suggested. Cameron had a stunned look in his eyes as he stared at her intently; the thought had never crossed his mind.
“Yeah. I think I’ll do that,” he nodded. A huge smile spread across his face and it lit up his eyes, the worry lines she’d seen around his mouth were gone now.
“So what’s going on with you?” He switched the conversation to her.
Katie felt uncomfortable suddenly.
“So?” Cameron prodded.
“So nothing,” Katie replied as she jumped from her seat and began clearing the table. Cameron refilled their glasses and she joined him on the couch again.
“You never talk about your family, how come?”
“There’s nothing to tell,” Katie shrugged her shoulders.
“Please, everyone has a story to tell,” Cameron replied. He promised to tell her something very embarrassing about himself if she told him just a little bit about herself.
It seemed like a reasonable trade. And once she started talking she couldn’t stop…
She was an only child, born to a romance novelist Mother and an electronics tinkering Father.
Her childhood was ordinary and nothing special. She went to school, played in parks, skipped rope and held baby dolls.
Her mother was never an outwardly affectionate lady, and best expressed her emotions with pen and paper rather than with voice and hugs. Her father was quite the opposite. He was quick to hug, tease and tickle her, and she was often swept up and spun around and around until she was dizzy.
She had few close friends during her school years and often spent her days sitting near the Simmomon riverbank, writing stories, poems and plays that she acted out in her imagination. She enjoyed sketching the characters for her stories and often play-acted as one of her characters, “to get to know them better”, she would claim.
As much as she enjoyed the stories and characters that her imagination brought to life, her love for music blossomed in her teen years and took over.
She was often told she had a Teresa Berganza voice, and while she felt a little embarrassed to sing alone in public, she did sing with her school choir and had no reservations singing karaoke with her close friends. She could often be found in the music room after school hours caressing the ivories or stroking the strings as she taught herself to play the piano and the guitar. She’d look longingly at the violins, but, they were secured in locked closets, and off limits to non-band members.
Soon after she turned fifteen, she excitedly obtained a part time job at the little second hand music shop that sat nestled between City Hall and an old vacant warehouse, the money she made there was enough to pay for one official music lesson every two weeks.
While her pay wasn't great (not that she’d needed much really), the rundown, unfrequented music shop thrilled her as it had exposed her to so many types of music. She developed a fast love for jazz and rock, but could often be heard singing an old, sad folk song while scrubbing the dingy toilet in the little bathroom tucked under the back stair.
During her shifts at the store, she’d write her songs and would grab a guitar from the for-sale rack, strumming and singing and jotting down words and chords.
The shop's portly, middle-aged owner often left while she was there, taking with him the smell of cheap cigars, and once the door closed behind his old blue twill suit, she’d sing loudly and to her heart's content.
Whether sweeping the dusty corners, watching the counter paint peel up as she washed it or trying to fix the toilet under the stair, she kept a rhythm, hummed a tune or turned words over and over in her head.
During an impromptu jam session with a song on the radio and her hands on the countertop, she’d sped through the last words of the song and snapped open her eyes at the unexpected clap from behind the one-simoleon rack of CDs.
Her eyes had lit on a boy about her age, leaning casually against a pillar, a lopsided smile matching his rumpled, oversized clothing.
She and Sean Riley soon became great friends, and then a little more than just friends.
They spent their time together playing guitar in the park, lying on the river bank sharing an iPod and a beer or attending concerts at venues in town.
Sean Riley was often found at the old music shop, perched on the counter chatting with her about his plans to move on from their little river town to a bigger and better life in Bridgeport.
She gushed her own dreams right back at Sean Riley and they talked and shared and planned.
Near her seventeenth birthday, Sean Riley rushed into the music shop and breathlessly slammed two pieces of paper on the counter.
“A concert” he’d grinned at her, his blue eyes sparkling, “In Bridgeport, let's go!”
Katie had squinted an eye at him, picked up the ticket, and nearly fell over seeing that the concert was not just “a concert”, but “The” kick off of a world tour for K-Infinity. She’d hopped over the counter nearly effortlessly and stumbled into Sean, arms flung around his neck, hopping from one foot to the other until he lost his balance.
Laughing and somewhat chagrined, she’d sprawled on the dusty floor alongside Sean Riley and held the ticket up to the ceiling, reading it over and over. Unbelievable. Not just a concert, but one with several bands and the ever famous K-Infinity. She did not know how Sean Riley had acquired the tickets for the Crimson Regrets tour, and she hadn’t really cared.
Several months after the long anticipated concert had come and gone, Sean Riley graduated from high school and made his plans to move on to Bridgeport.
Her heart had come undone when they shared a final hug and kiss and she watched the taillight from his motorcycle long after it disappeared from sight. One more year to go for her and she could head out to bigger and better and reunite with Sean Riley.
Seven months down, five more to go and she would be heading out of her little river home town.
Eight months down and four more to go and she received a call from Mrs. Connelly, Sean Riley's Mother.
Eleven months gone and one more to go, she placed a green guitar pick on Sean Riley's grave.
Twelve months down and ready to go, she hugged her Mom and her Dad, brightened her face and headed out of the door, bag and guitar case in hand.
She stopped by the cemetery and placed an eternal candle near Sean Riley's headstone, stuck a row of guitar picks around the candle and straightened herself.
Bags packed and dreams in her mind she blew Sean Riley a kiss. A tear in her eye, she ran off to the train station on her way to Bridgeport…
“You loved him very much,” Cameron commented after a long silence.
“I still do,” she replied.
“But it was a long time ago,” she added softly as she moved back to the window. It was getting dark outside now; she could vaguely make out shadows moving in the distance, people rushing to their homes.
A train hurtled beneath their feet and Cameron blocked his ears until the sound was gone.
“Don’t you think it’s time you moved? You can afford to,” Cameron turned to her with a wry smile.
“I like it here. This side of town is like an organism, it’s got a life of its, an energy I just haven’t seen anywhere else in Bridgeport. Plus the subway is an amazing backdrop for my photography; the people too are a wonderful inspiration for the songs I write. Besides there’s Sean in every room here,” She explained.
Cameron would have argued with her and tried to change her mind if she hadn’t mentioned the last part about Sean.
She really did love him.
“This was his place when he first moved to Bridgeport. He overdosed here too. I was lucky it was still vacant when I moved up. Nobody wanted to rent a place where someone died.”
“I’m sorry,” Cameron told her as he took her in his arms.
“It’s okay,” she replied as she quickly brushed away her tears.
“I think you should show me this amazing backdrop I keep hearing about,” Cameron suggested. Without waiting for her reply he grabbed her coat from the couch and wrapped it around her shoulders.
Katie grabbed her camera and handbag on their way out.
They spent a large part of their evening walking the subway, taking pictures, and chatting to her subjects until Cameron’s cell phone rang. It was Michaela. And he had to go see her.
He looked like a schoolboy as he beamed at her outside her flat. And she couldn’t believe how smitten he was with Mickey. But then again she was an amazing girl.
As she crawled into her bed and turned off the light on her nightstand, Katie found herself wondering if Mickey’s grandfather was as amazing as her…

































I cried. I am so dumb. haha.
ReplyDeleteLove it. The places, sets and pictures are so so perfect. I adore the friendship between Cameron and Katie, that is just so very special.
Good! That makes two of us on the crying, and it's the parts you wrote. Beatiful writing as always and I feel incredibly blessed that you could collaborate on this chapter with me. Thank you.
DeleteKatie seemed to be very much in love and it is a shame Sean died. Cam and Katie seem to be very good friends which is good for both of them.
ReplyDeleteWould Thornton be amazing to her, we will have to see I guess.
Lckygrl,
DeleteShe was in love with Sean, he was her first love and best friend. Cam abd Katie are close, they need each other's friendship. I love your question about Thornton, only time will tell I guess. Thanks so much for reading.
Ah poor Katie. I felt so sad for her. Her first love. Seeing a bit of her background was sweet. She was touched by Thornton's reaction. Wow. I wonder where things might go for them. It would be a little weird but kinda cute for him to date his son's assistant. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope when Cameron asks Mickey directly she'll open up to him. I feel so bad for her. :(
Agrree on Katie, what she went through, losing her first love like that was sad. I just want to hug her. Whatever happens between them, I hope you'll still find interesting. I'm pretty excited about this storyline.
DeleteThe two chapters after the next one will deal with Mickey. We'll soon find out if she'll take your suggestion, thanks for reading Jaz.
Cam is such a sweetie. We are definitely seeing a totally different side to him now that he love Micky. Poor Katie that must have been so hard to lose the one you love. It would be very interesting if she gets a relationship with Thorton. Don't think he is a easy man to love.
ReplyDeleteYeah, Mickey has brought out his softer, gentler side. He adores Thornton's troubled grandchild. I think what Katie went through was too much too soon, I wish I could hug her. Hopefully her future looks much brighter and happier. Thornton will surprise most, but you're right most of the time he's not easy to love at all. Thanks for reading.
DeleteI cried too! Katie was so in love with Sean. It is so sad. She and Thornton do seem to have their loneliness in common. Maybe they will have something together!
ReplyDeleteHer advice to Cam to talk with Mickey was right. I agree with Jaz, I just hope that she will open up to him!
Aw, I'm sorry, but I blame Fae for her beatiful writing. That's so true about their loneliness, it's a common ground. Maybe it will lead some place happier for both of them. Yes, let's hope Mickey does open up. Her silence is not good. Thanks for reading Nedra!
DeleteI'm so sad for Katie...to lose her first (and so far, only) true love is just so sad. I lost my first husband to an overdose and that is really the kind of thing you never really get over. Thankfully i have found my second chance at life and love with my husband now, and i hope Katie is able to find that too.
ReplyDeleteI love Cam! he is a sweetheart!!
by the way...your pictures are amazing... i know most of my comments are about your story lines but i just have to mention how gorgeous your pics are!! =]
Kelly,
DeleteI just want to hug you right now. i'm so sorry to hear that about your first husband, and you're right losing someone so young and so soon to overdose is not something one ever gets over. But I'm also happy for you and your second husband, life is full of surprises and experiences waiting to happen, we just have tomopen ourselves up for the light. I'm happy you've found love again, and I'd like that too for Katie. Very much. Cameron is a darling, Mickey and Katie are bith lucky to have him in their lives.
Thanks for the compliment on the pictures, it means a lot to me.
And thanks so much for sticking with Krisis.
awww, thank you! It has been just about 9 years since my husband passed away. We werent' in a good place in our marriage and i was actually living in a different state with our kids. That's the saddest thing about his death is how he left his kids behind... our oldest was 9 and the girls were 5 and 3...the youngest doesn't even really remember him =( It's such a waste of a life to let drugs take over everything =(
DeleteAnd I'll stick with Krisis as long as you keep telling his story!! I'm hooked =)
I agree about letting drugs take over, it's destructive, not just to the user but those around him. It's such a shame the way your first husband never got to know his kids, and they in turn were robbed of a lifetime with him. Again, I'm sending lots of love and hugs your way.
DeleteKatie had better stay away from my Thornton
ReplyDeleteLol, okay, she considers herself warned. Thanks for reading Pixx!
DeleteThat was pretty sad! That must be very tough for Katie, and I can see how her song was able to connect to Thornton as well. Cameron is a nice guy and very good friend to have. I wonder though what role Katie will play in the story if any at all. Either way great stuff and I look forward to the next chapter as always!
ReplyDeleteAw, sorry Aeon. But yeah, Katie hasn't been so lucky in love. Just like Thornton. Cam is a sweetheart for sure, I think they are both lucky to have each other. I hope whatever role she plays you'll find interesting. Thanks for reading and the feedback.
DeletePleasantly unexpected! Cameron has matured, I was a little nervous at first; especially when he tapped into the wine. Great history, and Thornton? That's quite the mountain she's thinking of climbing, well done.
ReplyDeleteCameron has changed some since moving to Bridgeport, joining the band and of course falling in love with Mickey. Fae did an awesome job creating Katie's backstory. I agree, Thornton is quite a mountain.
DeleteThanks for reading!