157. A Father's Love

Warning: language


Bridgeport, present day...
Krimsyn had never been happier to see J.D. when he walked through the front door the next morning.

She’d spent the whole night crying and stressing about him. Even after Krisis called to let her know J.D. was fine and he’d sleep at  his house on the cliff, she couldn’t relax, let alone go to sleep.

“Thank God, you’re back,” she cried as she threw herself in his arms.
“I just needed to be alone,” J.D. explained as he kissed her. She was stunned to feel his tears as they ran down both their cheeks.

“Hey, what’s wrong,” she asked him when they pulled away. She led him to the couch and started the fire.
J.D. didn’t say anything for a while, but once he started talking he couldn’t stop and Krimsyn listened and cried with him.

She understood what he was going through, she felt exactly the same way.
Their separation from Michaela was unavoidable, they'd known it for some time now, but it didn’t make the pain any less. Michaela was the only constant source of joy in their lives for the past eighteen years, the only pure and good thing they had behind closed doors, away from the fame and limelight, and now that she was an adult it felt like an end of a dream. Krimsyn felt empty and lost, not to mention unneeded.
They also talked about Cameron. He wasn’t their ideal choice for Michaela with his worldly experience and womanizing ways, but it wasn’t up to them. The best thing they could do for their daughter was to trust her to make her own decisions.
 After a quick shower and a change of clothes, J.D. went to find his daughter.

“Are you decent?” He knocked hesitantly on her door. A second later it flew open and Michaela invited him inside.

The room looked smaller than he remembered. And he realized then how long it was since he was in here.
“Sweetheart, I have no excuse for acting like an ass.  I should have handled your announcement better. And I’m sorry for ruining your birthday party,” he apologized.
Michaela gave him a hug, she wasn’t mad at him.

“Do you want to seat?” she offered, waving at her bed. J.D. gingerly sat down and patted the spot beside him.
“I just wanted you to know that it will take a while for me to wrap my head around you and Cam. But if you’re sure about this, if it’s him you want, I’ll support you all the way. Your happiness is more important to me than anything the world.” He told her.

Michaela took his hand and squeezed it, “Thank you. I love him. He loves me too. I know he has a past, everyone does, and I can’t judge him for it or hold any of it against him. But I really want a future with him. And he wants that too.”
“Good. I’m glad,” J.D. ruffled her hair. They talked for a long time, about her graduation and plans for college. She wanted to get a part time job until fall when school started. She was also thinking about touring with the band if she wasn't successful in her job hunting.

“You can always speak to HR at O+ Records,” J.D. offered.

“Thanks dad. But I just want to do things on my own for a while, learn to be responsible without relying on you and mom to bail me out. So I’ll be staying here for a little while longer while I save up for rent and stuff,” She explained.

J.D. was pleased with her decision to stay at home; the thought of her being on her own had torn him up.
They decided to go for a walk around the block, and they invited Krimsyn along, but she declined, saying they needed to spend some father/daughter time.

Their walk took them to Marina Field and they spent some time there, playing with Lucky, her new puppy.


J.D. wasn’t a dog person; in fact he didn’t care much for pets. But seeing how enamored Michaela was with Lucky, he couldn’t help but warm up to him. And he didn’t even mind when the puppy peed on his shoes.

As he watched Michaela wolf down a burrito and then top it off with ice-cream, J.D. couldn’t help but smile, she looked like his little girl again, happy and carefree. And he wished she could stay that way forever…
Later, when J.D. left the house for his evening jog, he didn’t know he was going to confront Cameron until he found himself at his apartment.

 He was surprised to find him home. Usually Cameron would be out and about, making the most of the last bit of the weekend. For him to be home on a Sunday night was strange. 


Maybe he really is changing, J.D. thought as he followed him inside.
“Want a drink?” Cameron offered. Without waiting for his reply he went ahead and mixed him a gin and tonic.
J.D. grudgingly accepted the glass, “Look man, this is not a social call.”

Cameron nodded. He’d figured it was coming. He sat down and waved for J.D. to do the same, but he declined, choosing to hover around the bar instead.

Lilo, Cameron’s Husky bounded in, her excited barks were ignored. With no prospect of a treat from either man, she settled for an old drama on TV.
“She’s my little girl,” J.D. began after some time.

“I know. And I’m sorry. Not for falling in love with her. I don’t regret it. But I do regret you found out the way you did,” Cameron explained.

“Are you sure about this? About Mickey? It’s so close to home. Have you thought about what you’re giving up? No more groupies for you, no more getting head backstage, no more late nights and fucking anything that moves because Krimsyn and I will be watching you!” J.D. finally approached him.
“You think I care about all those things?” Cameron jumped from his seat, angry suddenly.

“Don’t you?” J.D. shot back.

“I guess you don’t know me as well as I thought you did. That shit means nothing to me!”

“That’s what you say now. What's gonna happen when we start touring and all your fan girls throw themselves at you?” J.D. asked.
“Look Jaden-” J.D. could tell Cameron was really agitated with him now; he never used his full name, not unless he was pissed at him for something. 


“I didn’t ask for these feelings. You think I didn’t try fighting them? Pushing her away? I fucking did! You can hate and judge me all you want, but I’m not going anywhere. I love her,” Cameron barked at him, with an angry huff he sauntered off to the balcony, leaving J.D. stumped.  Cameron rarely ever lost his temper, he was a happy go lucky kid, and that’s what the band loved the most about him.
“That’s what you said about Sylvia and Liza.” J.D. reminded him. He knew he should drop it, let it go, they’d never agree on his relationship with Mickey. But this was his daughter, his only child, he couldn’t give in without at least letting Cameron know how he felt.
“And I did love them. But Mickey is-” Cameron stopped suddenly; he was at a loss for words.

 J.D. waited patiently for him to continue.
“She makes me want to change. Because of her I want to be a better person.” He finished off; his voice was low, anguish dripped from every word.
J.D. didn’t know what to say. He just stood there watching Cameron watching the black sky. It had stopped snowing. But it was still freezing.

“Take care of her,” J.D. clapped Cameron on the back as he turned to leave. There really wasn’t anything left to say. The emotion in Cameron’s voice, the look in his eyes every time he mentioned Mickey, there was no arguing with it, he did love her. And for now it was enough. Even for him...

25 comments:

  1. Such a touching chapter! i really like the father-daughter time ; so cute seeing them reconnect.
    JD really saw the love Cam has for Michaela, its there and i lik how its accepted now.
    I totally Cheer for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tita,

      Thank you. It's not often you see the two of them together, after the way he acted on her b-day, the father/daughter time was needed.

      Yes, his talk with Cam was inevitable too, and J.D. did see that Cam is serious about his feelings for Mickey, he can't keep them apart, he can only trust Cam to do the right thing and not hurt his daughter.

      Thanks so much for reading and for your feedback, I appreciate your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. ...OMG I cried!!!! This was soo sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, okay, I hope it was tears of joy. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I still feel bad for JD being kept in the dark. I am happy to see he is trying to accept it and move on. I know Cam won't do anything to hurt Mickey deliberately but I have a sinking feeling that this isn't going to be so easy in order to get to their happy ending.

    Please tell me I'm wrong. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, J.D. will try for Mickey's sake. And you're right about Cam, whatever happens, if it happens, will not be intentional or deliberate. I'd like a simple, happy ending for them, but we'll see. Their future awaits.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  4. Val, this is beautiful. Sometimes there isn't any happy ending. Sometimes no matter how much you'd like to write it for your characters, it doesn't work. That last shot and the last paragraph is really striking. Sad, maybe hopeful, but grindingly real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,

      Thank you. And I love what you said about happy endings, not everyone gets one. When I look at your work and see how real you are with your characters, I'm always in awe of the dynamics you and Gayl create.

      This was a pleasant surprise, getting feedback from you.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  5. ~ This was so sweet,sad, but sweet,the one person he needed & who was going through the same thing as him,was right besides him,he was upset about the lying,but really,it all boiled down to losing his little girl!
    ~ I am so glad the air was cleared & they all had a really good talk,I just knew Cam,was next!LOL!
    ~ Cam trying to explain to JD about his love for his daughter,probably the hardest thing he has ever put into words!He failed some what,but his true emotions shone through,for anyone to see!Fancy a songwriter not being able to put his true feelings into words.............she leaves him speechless!
    ~ Loved it!(",)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Krimsyn was there all along, going through the same thing as him. His fight with everyone can be changed, but what's important I think is that he came back from it and tried to fix things.

      I think Cam knew too he was next, they couldn't let it fester for too long, not with the tour approaching, the air had to be cleared. Cam is good at what he does, writing sings and music, and he's a great entertainer, but when it comes to beng vocal about things that matter to him he doesn't do so well. I agree, he failed to articulate himself, but his emotions def shone through and in the end, it was all J.D. needed to be convinced.

      Thanks for reading, Karima.

      Delete
  6. Fathers and there bubbles, when it comes to their daughters lol but it was nice to see he talked to his daughter rather than lose his cool. The talk with Cam was needed so he could see if Cam was lying or not about how he felt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, fathers and their daughters, I can certainly relate to that. I think their talk really meant more to Mickey. Agreed on the talk with Cam, but I think it was more about seeing if he's lying, they both needed to define their new relationship and reach an agreement of some sorts. It's not ideal for J.D. but it's enough for now.

      Delete
  7. I read it this afternoon but I had such a headache that I am going to reply now after two aspirins. :)
    I loved the way JD handled this. I loved his emotional moment with Krimsyn.
    They are such a good pair. Also the talk between him and Cam was beautifully done. You can see there is a mutual respect between the men. I hope Cam will never disappoint JD's trust. I would kill him if he did! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your headache is much better now.

      I think J.D. handled it well too. What I like about them as a pair is that they always work through their problems together. Def, you're right, both men understand and respect each other a lot, but Cam's relationship with Mickey changes things between them, a lot in fact. I think that's what J.D. hopes for too, he would kill Cam if he did.

      Thanks for coming back to leave a comment.

      Delete
  8. awwww, so sweet, all of it. Even with Cameron's 12-year-old outburst. :)
    Really, very nice for them to each have the moments they need with the people they need them with. And they all came to a settlement of sorts with each other and themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Lol @ "Cameron's 12 year old outburst".

      Yes, the talks were needed. Hopefully they can all move forward now.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  9. Hiii , i accidentally commented with my ither username "Tita1997" haha silly me! Still worth another congrats for the chapter and the story in general!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was you, don't ask me how, I must be psychic. Thanks again for stopping by and the congrats on the story and chapter.

      Delete
  10. It was so sweet!!!

    That was a conversation that J.D. needed to have with Cam! I'm glad that he sees now how much they really care about each other. I loved it when Cam said that Miki makes him want to be a better person. That's how it should be! Now maybe J.D. can relax more about their relationship.

    J.D. and Krimsyn should have another child! HINT, HINT! I know it would be a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nedra,

    True, they needed to have that talk in order to move forward. J.D. did see they're genuinely fond of each other, but sadly this means his friendship with Cam will never be the same.

    I like your hint very much, and who knows, it may just happen.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the father and daughter time was good to see. I mean Mickey has been through a lot with her parents so it's good to see them reconnect. Cam & Mickey seem like an interesting duo though. I bet JD will still be cautious of Cam though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aeon,

      WB!

      That's true about what Mickey's been through, J.D. did need to spend some QT and reconnect with her. J.D. will def still be cautious of Cam.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  13. The father-daughter time was really needed. So glad that they had some fun :) JD should know that no matter where Mickey may go, or who she ends up spending her life with, she'll always be his little girl :)

    And it's a good thing he had a talk with Cam - even though they almost had another go at each other. I hope that JD saw for himself just how much Cam really loves Mickey, especially since he's willing to change for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, you're finally caught up!

      I agree, they needed to spend some QT together. I think his talk with Krisis helped him realize that, that it's not a loss, she's still his little girl.

      He did see for himself how deep Cam's feelings for Mickey run, but he'll still be cautious of him.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  14. I'm finally on to catching up now and all i can say about this chapter is "sniff sniff" soooo sweet!! She makes him want to change! He loves her so much!!

    ReplyDelete