107. What you know can hurt you

Bridgeport, present day
Day Three in the search for Blake...
The news of Carla and Gabe coming out of retirement was met by mixed reactions in the Vampire community. Some were glad to see the reclusive vampires out and about, some thought their sudden appearance could only spell trouble, and some just didn’t care.
Speculations were rife. And the unfounded, baseless rumors that they were being commissioned by the Frosts to take out Beau Merrick, further intensified when the two trackers were spotted in the company of Ben, the shady PI, and the band members of K-Infinity one evening at Waylon’s Haunt.
The rumors soon reached William Thornton’s ears, and he found himself wondering what his younglings were up to this time.

True to his word, his son had stayed out of trouble, he’d had no run-ins with the law, and he had kept a low profile with his human. But William knew Carla and Gabe resurfacing suddenly, after years of reclusion, could only mean trouble and he had to get to the bottom of their meeting with his son.
“Arrange a meeting with Krisis Frost for this evening Celina!” William barked on the phone. He listened to Celina hesitate on her end.
“Is there a problem?” He asked coldly.

“No. Of course not Mr. Thornton. I’ll get on it right away,” she replied, and he didn’t wait to hear anything else she had to say, he quickly cut the call.
He paced the length of his office for a while before coming to a complete stop in front the window.
He’d seen the view of the city over a million times, but he never tired of the city lights, never tired of the thousands of skyscrapers beyond the glass. From where he was he could make out Krimsyn and J.D.s penthouse. It was the third tallest building right on the edge of city.
He wondered what it was like inside their home, wondered if he’d ever be welcomed there. He was so tempted to announce himself one day, and let them know he was their father. But he knew that knowledge would destroy them, it would change everything they’d believed for the past 216 years.
But the selfish part of him, the part that wanted to get to know his children and his grandchildren, didn’t care. The yearning was so strong, so deep, and for a second he was tempted to listen to it and give in…

 “Mr. Thornton, Krisis will be here in an hour!” Celina announced when she walked in, uninvited and unwelcome.
She walked over to him and draped her long arms around him. William shrugged carelessly, letting her know he’d heard her and he wanted to be left alone.

“My son will be here shortly Celina; I don’t want to get into this right now!” He snapped, moving away from her.

“I’ll leave you to it then,” she replied calmly, and walked away with her head held high. He knew though she was hurt. He’d never denied her sex so harshly before. But the truth was he was really tired of her, bored to tears in fact; she was nearing her sell by date, she’d outlived her usefulness, and she knew too much, way more than she should.
An hour later Krisis was outside the Vampire Council’s headquarters, staring up at Thornton’s office, nervously playing with the envelope in his hand.
He hated being summoned, and he hated knowing he was at the man’s mercy even more. But he knew if he’d taken care of his business as soon as they found out Leigh was pregnant he wouldn’t be out here now, getting ready to have a face-off with Thornton.
He reluctantly made his way inside, Celina, took him up to Thornton’s office.

“That will be all Celina,” Thornton dismissed his PA, and waved at Krisis to take a seat. But Krisis refused.
He slammed the envelope on the desk and walked towards the door, a touch of sheer arrogance on his face.

“What’s this?” Thornton asked, glancing at the envelope on his desk.

“Three lives for the price of two,” Krisis replied over his shoulder, not bothering to look at the other man.

Thornton was grateful because he had tears in his eyes as he stared at the images of the ultrasound scans. These were probably the only photos of his grandchildren he’d ever have, legally that is.

“We already knew you are pregnant.” His voice stopped Krisis in his tracks just as he was about to slip through the door.

“There’s nothing we don’t know Krisis Frost!” He smirked at his son as he walked back into his office and closed the door behind him.
“Then why the fuck am I here?” Krisis demanded.

“Gabe and Carla,” Thornton replied coolly, unfazed by his son’s temper. “Whatever it is that you are doing with those two, don’t let it go as far as the business with Vladimir!”

“Or what?” Krisis asked arrogantly.

“We won’t be as forgiving as we were with the shit with Vladimir,” Thornton’s reply matched his angry tone.
Krisis fought back the urge to jump at the man and throttle him. He hated Thornton and his ‘know it all’ attitude. Oh, he couldn’t wait for the day they’d have a royal rumble, away from the safety and security of the Council’s headquarters.
“Anytime you’re ready Krisis,” Thornton answered his angry thoughts. “But remember, I have 473 years on you. Think long and hard about the battles you pick!”
“Fuck you!” Krisis growled, making no attempt to move away from Thornton.

Thornton ignored his outburst. “You have four kids to think about now. The time to be careless is long gone, so don’t let the business with Carla and Gabe get out of hand. Their sudden appearance is making a lot of people anxious!”

“Since you are so curious, and you don’t have the decency to ask nicely, I’ll tell you about the trackers!” Krisis shot back, explaining Carla and Gabe were helping them locate Blake.
“Ah…Your human again!” Thornton raised an eyebrow, his voice dripping with hate and sarcasm. “When will you see she’s a burden Krisis, she’s your weakness, and our entire community knows it too?”

“I love her and we are getting married. You and your entire community will have to deal with it!” Krisis replied quietly.
“She’s human! Weak! Pathetic!” Thornton spat out. He would have carried on if he didn’t suddenly find himself flying in the air. He slammed the wall hard before crashing to the floor. It took him half a second to realize Krisis had kicked his butt.
“She’s the mother of my children you son of a bitch!” Krisis bared his fangs, getting ready to rip him apart. Williams’ warning about their age difference long forgotten. At that moment, Krisis only saw red. He was tired of people putting down his relationship with Leigh because she was human, tired of defending his love for her. And he was generally tired of Thornton’s hatred for humans, especially for Leigh!

Celina, followed by security guards, walked in just in time to see Thornton jump to his feet and land firmly on Krisis’ chest, his fists raining hard on his son’s face!

“Stop it!” Celina screamed, while the security guards did their best to pull the two men apart.

Krisis brushed off one of the guards hands, and pushed past Celina as he walked to the door. Thornton waved off the guards and they left.
“I don’t want to hear from you or your Council friends ever again. I gave you what you wanted. Leigh’s pregnant. You’ll have your two lives, but stay away from me, her and my kids!” Krisis turned back at the door. He saw the light die in the other man’s eyes, but he didn’t understand what it meant. He was further confused by what he heard as he slowly walked away.
“Was that worth it, beating up on your son?”  Celina’s voice made him stop in his tracks.

“He asked for it!” Thornton replied, not correcting Celina’s outburst.
“You think he’ll want to have anything to do with you after the stunt you just pulled? You’ll never see your grandkids…” The PA continued her tirade, and Krisis ran down the stairs, wishing he could block out their conversation. He didn’t understand what he’d heard. It didn’t make sense, and he was still too angry to try and break it all down into manageable wholes…
He got on his bike and sped off, cutting through the traffic, oblivious to the other motorists hooting angrily at him. He didn’t want to think, didn’t even want to go back home to face Leigh.
He found himself at The Grind, where he knocked one drink after another until the bartender called Krimsyn to take him home…
 “Do you want to talk about it?” Krimsyn asked on their way to the penthouse. Krisis had insisted on going home with her. He didn’t want Leigh to see him all beat up and drunk.

“No!” Krisis replied harshly, raising the volume on the radio.
“We’ll talk about it Krisis, whether you like or not!” Krimsyn brought the car to a stop and turned down the stereo before she got out. She walked over to his side and yanked his door open.

“What happened?” She asked softly, searching his face for clues.

Knowing she wouldn't let it go, Krisis told her about his fist fight with Thornton.
“If you ask me, the jerk deserved it,” Krimsyn assured him.

He nodded, hesitating, wondering if he should tell her the rest.

“Out with it.” She’d read his mind. But they didn’t have to be vampires to read each other’s thoughts; their twin connection was just as strong. They could sense when the other was in trouble, sad, or generally untruthful.
“I heard something. Maybe I took it out of context. Maybe I heard wrong-“ His voice faltered, and he walked away from her.

“What did you hear?” Krimsyn placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. She knew whatever he’d heard was weighing heavily on him, to make him drink so much and not want to go back home to Leigh.

“I think Thornton is our father.” His announcement drew a shocked gasp from his sister. She backed away from him, swaying on her feet before she fell on the hood of her car for support.
“That’s impossible!” Krimsyn managed to say in a small voice, but she wasn’t so sure if he’d heard her.

“I know…it’s crazy right? I mean, grams said Margaret was raped…”
“Stop! I don’t want to hear it, Krisis!” Krimsyn cried harshly. She hated knowing she was a result of a rape. Hated her rapist father even more. And the idea that Thornton was their rapist father was absurd.
 She got back inside the car, and started the engine. Krisis got in too. He turned the stereo on again, louder than before, trying to drown out their pained thoughts and the uncomfortable silence.
“He’s not our father,” Krimsyn whispered as they waited for the lift to take them to the penthouse.

“I know,” Krisis murmured. But his voice lacked conviction. Doubt had already moved in, and rearranged the furniture. As they rode up to the penthouse, they made a silent promise to never mention the idea of Thornton being their father, ever again…

37 comments:

  1. Damn! That fight was bound to happen. The anger and animosity toward each other was just too strong.

    Thorton looks good of course. I wonder why all of a sudden he is wanting to be a part of their lives? It would be nice though. Michaela and company to at least have 1 grandparent.

    I see one more showdown before this is over. They can say it all they want but it's his blood running through them and that will never change. I hope they reconsider and go talk t him. If not Krisis, Krimsyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Qui,

    Yeah, it was a long time coming.

    LOL. Okay. He's always wanted to be a part of their lives but never really took his urges seriously, but seeing Lily growing up and not being a part of her life is most likely the cause. And now that Krisis is expecting triplets he'd really like to be a part of their lives, be involved and do what he couldn't do with his two kids. True, the children would really like that. But their parents, not so much.

    Hopefully it doesn't get to more showdowns, but you never know, this is Krisis and Thornton. True, they can't deny it forever.

    Krimsyn dislikes Thornton as much as her brother, but I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of her being the peacemaker. We'll see. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess Carla and Gabe spell trouble. It's understandable that Thornton and the council would think that Krisis was using them to get to Beau.
    I had a feeling that meeting wasn't going to go well, but Thornton's mouth was the final straw.
    Ah! The PA let the cat out of the bag! I doubt that promise they made to each other will last. It's going to be interesting to see the way this one unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~ Great,Krisis beats up his own dad!Even after being warned of the age difference!
    ~ Thornton hates humans only because of what the twins mother did to him,& for that I do not blaim him,but he should know that in all the years he has lived that there are many types of humans,& the same can be said for Vamps!
    ~ He should not have said anything against Leigh!He should know that they both have the same temper & knows how deeply they love!
    ~ Loved it!(",)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, was that ever powerful! You could feel the tension, the anger, all of it! This confrontation had to happen, and they both knew it. William just kept taunting him - and Krisis may never know why that particular jab hurts William as much as it was meant to hurt Krisis.

    His son has the life he wanted for himself, but his human, who he gave his heart to, didn't love him enough to stand by him. He's had years to live with what Margaret did to him, and the lies she told that may forever keep him from the children he wanted.

    To see him turn that biterness and envy on his own son is hard to watch, and both will regret the time wasted because of it.

    Krisis may be able to live with the knowledge, but I don't think Krimsyn will be able to "unhear" what she heard.

    Powerful, powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know but I feel sorry for the dad. He is not handling this situation well. I wish he could see his grandkids too.
    I hope they find out the whole truth about their births and little Blake really should come home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And the plot thickens! I was wondering when these two would finally have a fallout...a long time coming indeed.

    My heart aches just a little for William, it must be tough knowing you have grandkids, but having them just out of reach. Wonder if Krisis will just blow off what he heard, or if it will all finally come out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celina sure knows too much..
    I'm glad that after 216 years, Thorton finally wants to be apart of their lives. It's a good thing that both Krisis and Krimsyn know exactly who their father is and not a rapist. Why leave it this late? Why does Thorton still keep hating humans so strongly? I hope they don't have another showdown..
    The expressions are just perfect.. i love how you portrayed the twins feelings.. I wonder who might be going to be the peacemaker?
    Caught up finally, now to play the waiting game ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holley,

    Carla and Gabe's presence has a lot of people worried, and the rumors surrounding Beau are making a lot of people worried, as untrue and unfounded as they are.

    That meeting was destined to not go well, both men hate each other's guts, so talking reasonably like grown men would have been the exception to the rule. But Thornton really asked for it, Krisis can never reason where Leigh's concerned.

    Yes, the PA knew too much and now she's given Thornton yet another reason to get rid of her. Maybe Krimsyn can, but Krisis can't deny it, it's already eating at him. And it's not just Thornton being their father, it's the idea of having a father who hold such a powerful position in their society that bothers him. Krisis knows he already pulled strings to spare his life, what else has he done for the twins that they don't know about? And it's these questions that are worrying Krisis.

    It should be interesting indeed.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karima,
    ~ This is Leigh at play we're talking about. He killed an ancient vampire for her so the age difference is really not a match for his passion, if someone's motivated to do something, nothing will stop them, and Thornton gave Krisis enough motivation to kick his ass. But there is also the chance that Thornton let him get away with it because Krisis is his son.
    ~ You and Jill have such a great insight into Thornton's character I hardly feel the need to explain, clarify or add on to your thoughts of him. But yeah, he should know that not all humans are like Margaret.
    ~ Exactly, he shouldn't have, but he gets some perverse pleasure at putting down Leigh and Krisis' relationship and it really boils down to what he never had with Margaret. Krisis and Leigh are a reminder of what he could have had with Margaret.
    ~Thank you and I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jill,

    *blushes* Thank you.

    You're so right, it had to happen at some point, they had a lot of things left unsaid and undone from their last meeting. That's true, Krisis really has no idea why the man has it in for him. But if they sat down and talked and Thornton explained his position things will start making sense to Krisis. But chances of that happening are nonexistent now that he's told Thornton where to get off.

    It's a tragic situation for Thornton, watching his son live his life and make it work when their own mother didn't want to give him that chance. It's heartbreaking and sad, and as much as he wants to be happy for Krisis, he can't stop taking perverse pleasure in hurting him. He sees so much of himself in Krisis and he doesn't like it. Oh don't get me started on the lies. Though he played a silent role in their lives all this time, he let them believe the lies Margaret told her parents for so long, it will be very hard for him to undo those lies or take back his actions.

    They will definitely regret the wasted time, Thornton more than Krisis. He's already feeling paternal urges, but they may have kicked in a little too late.

    Krimsyn won't unhear it, but she'll most certainly try to deny it. Krisis on the other hand is already thinking about how much of their lives was a lie.

    Thank you so much for sticking with this, it means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dutchy,

    Aw, you have a soft spot for Thornton. He isn't handling this well and he didn't handle the past well either.
    Krisis and Krimsyn know more than they want to now. Blake...hopefully it's not long now.
    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leahrg,

    Thank you and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenn,

    It does thicken indeed. They had to have it out, sooner or later.

    A part of me feels for him too, it must be hard knowing he'll never be a part of their lives because of the choices he made. Krisis won't be able to blow over what he knows. It's too much to ignore, yet too painful to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mango,

    You know what they say, PAs and secretaries know more than the wives. LOL.

    A part of me is glad too that he wants to reach out to them, but another part can't help but feel he may have reached out a little too late. But you're right, it's a great they finally know who their dad is.
    His hate for humans traces back to Margaret. He never got over her and to him humans are as heartless and as cold as she was when she found out he's a vampire. Another showdown is highly possible. Thanks, you gotta love the N'Raas' mods.
    There's still a lot more of their feelings to be explored, but maybe not in this season. I think this was the end of Thornton for now. We'll see. And the peacemaker, neither Krisis nor Krimsyn will want to, but Krimsyn stands a better chance since her encounters with Thornton weren't so dramatic.

    LOL@ the waiting game.

    Thanks for catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your story!!!!! Just so you know i just spent the last 2 or 3 days reading every single chapter. I can't wait to see what else happens. Keep up the great job.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leah, I'm assuming that's a good kind of surprised look?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna,

    Wow, thank you. That means a lot to me. It's quite a lot of chapters to read through so I really appreicate the time you took to catch up. Again thank you, I hope I don't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thornton's sudden desire to be part of Krisis' life is really because he likes the idea of being a grandpa? That's amazing. I can't see Krisis ever accepting that. Plus Thornton just attacked him so how paternal is that?? He's going to have to do a lot to convince both Krisis and Krimsyn that this is for real.

    Your street and city shots are stunning. Absolutely incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No WAY.

    I hate that they still think they were the result of rape. It's horrible horrible!! I want them to know that Thornton would NEVER do that and that he IS their father because it would make things so much nicer.

    The fight had to happen though. It made me smile! They are so much alike those two!

    Krimmy and Krisis need to knwo the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beth,

    No, not really. He realizes he's missed out on his kids lives and he doesn't want to do the same with the grand kids. Krisis will have a hard time accepting him, especially after all their unpleasant encounters. Exactly, he has to prove himself to both his kids.

    Thank you! I try :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eni,

    Yes. I hear ya, and maybe they will know that someday, I want that too. But for now Krisis is still too angry to even entertain any thoughts of them being related.

    LOL. I'm glad. I always laugh when sims fight. But you're right, they are too much alike.

    I couldn't have said it better.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmhmhm interesting...Looks like thay have a little more to think about now...I kinda hope that Thornton will come out and tell them his side of the story..Well but then again they prob wouldnt believe him anyway but still very interesting ;D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I cant wait for an update. This is one of my all time favorite stories I read. I just love it. I wonder what will happen now that the secrets out about their father. And hope Tamsyn is soon caught as well. Cant wait to read more. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  25. Leah, I take it that's you being shocked? LOL. I know, it shocked me too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rose, yes, they certainly do have a lot to think about now. I don't know if Thornton coming out and telling them his side will help or not, it has been 216 years after all. But at least it will give them peace to know they are not a consequence of rape.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  27. leahrg, aw, thank you, that means so much to me to know you enjoy reading Krisis. The next update is written, I just have to take shots that's all. It won't be long now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just finished reading the other seasons.

    This is a fascinating story.

    I hope that Krisis and Krymsin learn the truth about their father's relationship with their mother. It must be awful to think that your father raped your mother.

    I have the feeling that Thornton's PA is going to try to use what she knows about Thornton against him.

    Your pictures are beautiful!

    Can't wait till next update!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is a difficult reality that Krimsyn and Krisis must face.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm just surprized how sexy Thornton is as a brunette!

    ReplyDelete
  31. 11daisies,

    Wow you read pretty fast. You must tell me which one was your fav season :)

    I hope that's a good thing?

    I agree, it must be pretty awful for them to feel that way. Right now Krisis and Krimsyn don't want to have anything to do with Thornton, but maybe one day he'll be given a chance to redeem himself in their eyes.

    Mhh, hold that thought. But at this stage I really had no inclination to involve Celinah more than she already is in Krisis. She's just a supporting character, but there's nothing worse than a scorned woman, so...we'll see how that plays out.

    Again, thank you.

    Wait no more. The next chapter is up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Seaweedy,

    Hundred percent in agreement with you. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Leah? For real? And the weird part is I just changed his hairstyle, not the hair color! Glad you think he's sexy though!

    ReplyDelete
  34. "Doubt had already moved in, and rearranged the furniture"

    Amazing line! This revelation will change everything for Krisis and Krimsyn. And great work with the Blake storyline, handled expertly and beautifully drawn out :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just when I thought this story has reached the peak of awesomeness...it gets better...I'm so tempted to skip my class just so I can keep on reading

    ReplyDelete