Bridgeport, present day
Still National Vampire Day...
On the surface, Eloise and Devon showed a united front.
Their statements to the police had no contradictions, no flaws in the way they denied the insinuations by the media that they had something to do with the disappearance of their own child. No hint of the slow buildup of anger and resentment towards the other.
They were grief-stricken parents, worried sick about their stolen baby. Every free moment they found was spent praying for his safe return. They spoke in the same voice; they had a clear idea of what they wanted and how they wanted the case to be handled. They were two devastated people, firmly held together by the love they felt for each other and their baby boy.
Inwardly though, each had never felt so alone, so far removed from the other. There were things they both wished they’d done differently, things they knew for sure would have produced a different outcome had they paid close attention.
Eloise wished she’d taken a good look at the nurse. If it wasn’t for the woman who had been waiting with her in the waiting room, the police would not even have had the identikit picture to circulate on the Amber Alert.
He would never say it, but she knew what Devon was thinking. She could see it in his eyes. She was a bad mother. She’d let a stranger take their baby. She’d trusted a crazy woman with their child and only because she was dressed as a nurse.
How could she?
What good mother does that?
This whole mess was his own fault. He wasn’t around to protect his family. Signing on a new artist so they could have enough money for the deposit of their new home shouldn’t have been high on his priorities list. He’d put work and money first.
He shouldn’t have...
Eloise burst into tears again as she silently went over her brief encounter with the nurse.
“El, it’s okay. We’ll find him,” Devon murmured soothingly, taking her in his arms. He said the words with so much conviction, but he was having a hard time believing them.
He knew the stats, chances of finding a missing child alive decreased dramatically after the first 36 hours. But he couldn’t afford to believe anything other than that Blake would be found alive and well.
“Is there anyone, anyone at all who might want to hurt you? Enemies? Anyone who has a grudge against you?” Jonah, the detective assigned to their case, pulled them from their private hells.
His voice was low and soothing; his big brown eyes were compassionate and kind, the air of openness about him made Eloise and Devon want to trust him and open up to him. If only they had something to share, something to tell him that would help apprehend the woman who took their baby.
“No. We are good people! We don’t have enemies. Why are you wasting time asking ridiculous questions? You should be out there, finding my son!” Eloise screamed.
She got up and paced the small office.
Occasionally she glanced beyond the glass, at the hive of activity going on in the cramped cubicles.
Phones rang; printers and fax machines buzzed constantly, frenzied fingers trying to solve cases worked the keyboards.
Generally life seemed to move forward.
The hands of time ticked, painfully reminding her of the hours she was forced to endure without her son.
A dark cloud of despair washed over her.
What would they do if…No, She shook her head firmly. She couldn’t start thinking along those lines.
“No. We don’t have any enemies!” Devon ’s voice made her turn from the window. Their eyes connected and held for a brief second before she looked away. She felt ashamed of herself; she couldn’t even bring herself to express how sorry she was.
“Ex-spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, who might want to get back at you?” The officer carried on, unperturbed by Eloise’s anger.
“In such cases, it’s not uncommon to find children or babies were taken by people close to their parents. Most of the time it’s a vindictive spouse…” Jonah’s impassioned explanation was cut short by Eloise’s outburst.
“Oh God! I remember. The nurse, I mean the woman who took Blake. She had a watch, Dev. The same one we picked for Tamsyn. She said she got it from her mother, a gift, but I don't know, it looked exactly like the one you gave Tamsyn. I know it's impossible, but she was wearing it!” Eloise cried incoherently. For the first time since they walked into the room Devon saw a glimmer of hope in her eyes.
“Who is Tamsyn? And what is the significance of the watch?” Jonah inquired.
He’d bought it for Tamsyn’s twenty-sixth birthday. The design was common enough, but at Eloise’s suggestion, he’d had the face of the watch encrusted with two rows of clear crystal rhinestones since he couldn’t afford real diamonds.
“Do you know where she is now? This Tamsyn?” The cop asked.
They both didn’t know where she was. After she left Bridgeport , they’d put her out of their minds, grateful she was out of their lives. They’d had no reason to think about her, no reason to suspect she'd want to harm them.
Maybe they shouldn’t have been so quick to forget her.
“Is there anything else you want to share? Anything you remember? Anything that struck you as odd in the weeks leading up to today? A person or car that may have been tailing your movements? Please, no matter how small or insignificant you think it is, it could increase our chances of finding your son,” Crystal, Jonah’s partner, who had been silent until now, spoke.
Her questions were directed at Devon . Eloise was once again too caught up in her grief to piece together the past few hours. She looked drained and shell shocked.
Maybe it was Crystal ’s questions, or maybe he was ready to unlock the disturbing memories buried in his subconscious. Whatever it was though, Devon was grateful. He’d suddenly remembered the day Blake was born and the woman at the hospital two weeks earlier, and how uneasy he’d been…
He glanced at Eloise, a hint of unease and worry in his eyes, wondering if he should say anything. He was already in her bad books, and he didn’t want to upset her more that she already was. But keeping quiet might harm Blake and he would never forgive himself.
“El,” he ignored Crystal ’s question, and tried to get Eloise’s attention. But he gave up after a second or so when he got no reaction from his fiancĂ©.
The longer he thought about the woman at the hospital, her features and how familiar she’d looked, the more convinced he was it was Tamsyn. Or maybe he was reaching, wanted to blame his ex for the hell they were growing through.
He looked at Crystal , doubt and anxiety evident on his face. His eyes were filled with such grief and sorrow the detective found herself looking away first.
“Mr. Starlington, it’s important. If you have anything else to share, now is a good time,” Jonah took over when he saw his partner obviously struggle with the parents’ despair.
Before Devon could reply, through the window, he saw Leigh run down the rows of cubicles, screaming and demanding to be let in. Krisis followed closely behind her, trying to calm her down.
“Mr. Starlington, we are not done here!” Jonah bellowed after him, but Devon ignored him, as he, too, pushed through the cubicles and scooped his sister in his arms. All the anxiety and tension he’d felt these past few hours burst forth in a stream of tears.
“It’s okay, I’m here now,” Leigh assured him over and over.
“I don’t know what to do,” Devon explained, hating himself for sounding weak. He shouldn’t be crying in front of Leigh. She was his little sister, and always looked up to him for strength and support. But at that moment, he wished for once, Leigh would take on that responsibility.
“Come on, let’s get you guys home,” she told him firmly.
But Jonah had different ideas. He still had a lot of questions to ask Devon and Eloise about Tamsyn. After establishing their relationship and how they were connected to the case, he invited Krisis and Leigh into the interrogation room. They were on his list of people he had to interview, and now that they were there he saw no point in prolonging the inevitable; they would have been called in for questioning anyway at some point in the obscure future.
It looked like they were going to be at the police station for a while and Krisis excused himself for a bit. He had to call Krimsyn and J.D to cancel their plans for the barbeque they were supposed to have later that evening.
When he came back, he found Leigh slouched in her seat, a pained expression on her face.
“What’s going on? Are you okay?” He asked, as he dropped in the seat beside her.
“I…” Leigh tried to assure him she was, but another wave of cramps in her lower abdomen slammed her hard, and she closed her eyes tightly, waiting for the tide to pass. Krisis sensed her discomfort though and turned to her angrily.
“What’s wrong? You’re in pain!” He accused.
“I think we are in trouble.” Leigh stood up, trying to rush to the bathroom. But the room spun in dizzying circles and she swayed on her feet.
The last thing she remembered before darkness claimed her was the blood spots forming around her feet…
________
Note: I've put up a poll, please take a moment to cast your vote. This is for all your wellbeing and my sanity. Thanks in advance...
BTW, the poll's on the top right of the blog, where I normally post polls.






































OMG Leigh!!! This stress is not good for her and as long as her family is involved, she won't back out of it and won't be able to relax! :( I am so worried for them! The babies being included of course!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if I can agree with El not forgiving him if Tamsyn is behind this! He had no way of knowing she'd do something like this! This situation was beyond his control and I personally don't feel he can be blamed for it. If they could see in Tamsyn's head, she didn't take Blake because she wants Dev, she took him because she feels he should have been hers. I hope El sees that.
I love that the female detective displayed emotion. In these cases your superiors really frown upon emotional involvement in cases you're working but it's also those emotions that drive you to work harder on the case and the best results for the case.
Krisis is going to hit a wall if his babies aren't ok! <--random
You know how I voted :D
~ Oh my goodness I hope that the twins and Leigh are ok...pregnancy and blood don't mix well and almost never have a good outcome!
ReplyDelete~ It's tough watching Eloise and Dev in such despair, each of them secretly taking the blame for what happened, thinking that the other will hate them...I think you portrayed these feelings in the situation very well.
~ Let's hope that Dev trusts in his feeling and instincts enough have the police look further into Tamsyn. Ugh! The more I think of what she did to them the more my stomach turns...as a mother myself...I could never imagine! I think I would kill her!
~ Excellent chapter!
Qui,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you mentioned that, because that's exactly how she'll react. She won't back off. And sadly for her, if she's not careful the pregnancy may not end well.
You're right, about El, if that's what she was thinking. Remember that was just Devon's perception, they are both highly emotional, and in their state it would be easy to misunderstand things. Plus since Blake went missing, they haven't gotten a chance to be alone and talk things through and reassure each other. It's just been one questioning session after another. Earlier in that scene too Eloise thought Devon blamed her, "she could swear she could see the blame in his eyes". And later again she couldn't look him in the eye because she was so ashamed of herself. So, it's just a misunderstanding, that can grow into something big ad ugly if not addressed.
That's very true. Jonah was not that impressed with Crystal, but like you said, her emotions may drive her to work harder.
LOL @ "random" But you're right. Especially since he's so attached to them already.
Are you the one who voted you don't like naughty? LOL!
Jenn,
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't look good for Leigh and the twins.
I know. It pains me too to see them in so much pain and despair. Thank you. I wasn't too sure about this chapter and if any of their emotions came across well.
I agree. He needs to listen to his gut feeling and tell all about Tamsyn. Whoa! Do I hear pitchforks being sharpened now for Tamsyn? LOL.
Thanks for reading.
I've been MIA and I deeply apologize. Real life issues and my new legacy have been getting in the way, but I am back! Anyways, I am very excited about all the chaos. On top of disappearing/kidnapped babies, we have Leigh giving birth to vampire twins! I can't wait to see how everything turns out and I can't wait to see how justice is served. I guess I will have to wait and see.
ReplyDelete(Guess which option I picked for the poll. ;P)
~ Oh no!,not the twins!
ReplyDelete~ The last thing she needs,is stress!
~ Poor Dev and El,I hope they survive what that BITCH has done to their happy family,I hope their love is strong enough to endure this!!!!
~ Very sad,but well portrayed!(",)
Argh! Devon! Tell the police about the woman! At this point it's about getting your son back.
ReplyDeleteI hate how they both think the other hates them, when they themselves are feeling the guilt. this stuff can tear apart families. I hope Eloise and Devon are strong enough to get through his.
Oh No! Is Leigh having the babies?
Speaking of, i am still waiting for a certain PicSpam thread ;)
Loved it as usual Val. I love the details in your pictures. you have so much more patience there then I do.
OMG ! please dont let anything happen to the babys , it would totally destroy Krisis and Leigh!
ReplyDeleteDevon and tam. shoukldnt blame themselves ,who would think about Tamysin in times like thouse? though im glad they discovered these clues hope , hope and hope!
Dev and El are just heartbreaking to watch - you very masterfully portrayed the self blame they are going thru making them think they see blame in the others eyes, when in reality, it's all the same guilt.
ReplyDeleteI'm SO relieved they have a name to chase down, and with the chaos of Frostlets looming, I hope Dev doesn't forget to mention he also had a Tamsyn sighting!
Speaking of Frostlets... PLEASE let those sweet babies be ok! With so much stress, it's a miracle she's carried them as long as she has with no problems!
I'd tell you I was chewing my nails waiting for the next chapter, but my nails were toast a long time ago, thanks to your terrific writing!
What's happening to Leigh? Is she going into birth already...?
ReplyDeleteAll this pressure is not good for her :/
Such an awesome title... both Eloise and Devon misreading each other. I hope they at least talk to each other so baby Blake can be found. Devon should have told the police about the incident in the car.. You've explained and captured their emotions so perfectly. I'm feeling for both Eloise and Devon.. both blaming themselves. Now IS not the time to blame each other or themselves!
Argh.. i hate Tamsyn every single second now. I need to vent :D
Can't wait for more ;)
oh no!! blood? i hope the babies are okay! so much stress and turmoil for these families. i really REALLY hope that blakes kidnapping doesn't tear up eloise's and devon's relationship. she can't blame him for tamsyn. no one that she was that crazy =|
ReplyDeleteBrookeshire, no need to apoligize. RL does get hectic a lot of the times, and I understand. I'm just glad you still remember Krisis.
ReplyDeleteYou've started a new legacy? Awesome, send me the link, if you don't mind. I'd love to read it. Hold that thought about Leigh having Vampire twins. It might just be worse for them. But yeah, things have been a little crazy in Bridgeport, and Tamsyn taking Blake is the biggest stressor.
LOL @ the poll option. I'm guessing you voted for the 1st :) LOL.
Thanks for reading.
Karima,
ReplyDelete-Yeah, it doesn't look good for the Frostlets as Jill calls them
-I couldn't agree more about stress. Her pregnancy is abnormal as it is.
-This is the real test isn't it. If they can live through this without killing each other first then they'll be okay.
-Thank you. I hate writing sad stuff. But then again, sadness is part of life.
Thanks so much for getting back to this, and for all your support, always!
Holley,
ReplyDeleteYou're right, it is about Blake, and he should be his priority. He should just suck it up and tell the cops. He'll deal with El's reaction later, that's if there is one. She's just lost in her misery and her guilt to worry about anything else,
Exactly, if they can just talk, they'll both see what the other feels and they'll see it's not really blame but their own guilt. I hope so too.
No, she's not having the Frostlets early. Just a big scare and more revelations, that's all. Ah man, I'll get onto the picspam ASAP.
Thank you, that means a lot to me. I love clutter that's all :)
GirlyGirl,
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see a comment from you. And you know what? You're right! Losing those babies will def shatter their relationship.
True, Dev and El shouldn't be blaming themselves, they had no idea she could even dream of something like that. The clues should help, but will they be enough?
Thanks for reading!
Jill,
ReplyDeleteI know, and I'm sorry to have to put you through this :( Thank you, that means a lot to me, especially since I struggle with givig the side characters' their voices.
The name should help, Tamsyn certainly looks suspicious, and it was the watch that really gave her away. She had no idea Eloise was with Devon when he bought it for her. And you're right with all the chaos happening with Leigh, it can easily slip his mind. Let's hope it doesn't. And let's hope Krimsyn adds her own two cents worth :)
I know. Krisis' blood must be super strong to have held her together for so long. This is a major scare, one that will hopefully make them realize what's important.
And I promise I'll send you for a manicure once all the stories are wrapped up!
And no, thank you, for all your support, always!
Mango,
ReplyDeleteNo, she's not going into labor. It's just a big scare, that's all.
You're right the stress isn't doing her health any favors, but she needs to calm down if she wants to carry the Frostlets to term.
Thank you, you are the only one to comment on the title. I thought it was fitting, both couples may have lost so much, each other, their babies, a lot is at stake.
And you're spot on again, all they need is a chance to be alone, and talk things through. True, he should def come clean with his encounter with the strange woman at the hospital.
I'm so glad their emotions shone through for everyone. This is one piece I seriously struggled to write, the words just didn't seem to fit.
Join the "Let's Kill Tamsyn" fan club. Registration is now open :)
Thanks for reading.
Sweetdreams,
ReplyDeleteyou have every reason to be concerned, Leigh losing blood isn't a good sign. I know, they can never seem to catch a break. Hopefully when this is all over they'll all go on a nice holiday somewhere, who knows, maybe there'll be one or two weddings, or even three. Just saying the future doesn't look so bleak!
If Dev and El live through this, they'll be fine. But you're right blaming each other or themselves isn't helping anyone.
Thanks for reading.
Hey, just came back. I had a good holiday and ready to catch up to what I missed.
ReplyDelete1. Oh no. Leigh!!! I hope she is OK.
2.Krisis will be even more highly strung mass of nerves. If he was worried when he was waiting to find out what was the matter with Leigh, Imagine what he will be when his girlfriend and twins are in danger.
3.I hope El and Dev will find Blake and pull through together.
4.Grewsome Chapter, I missed that.
5.Can't wait for the next chapter. BTW I voted! Guess the one I picked, ;)
AW! OMG I HOPE SHES OKEY! Does that mean the babies are coming!? OMG I hope she and the babys are all right! I cant wait to find out what they are!
ReplyDeleteAW Its out know they know its her! Now they just have to find her so they can get that pore baby back! Crazy woman!
Loved the chapter btw!
You are sadly mistaken VAL! I most definitely picked the dirtiest of the options haha.
ReplyDeleteLeigh needs to go home. Even though she'll still worry, she can at least put her feet up and relax, if it's not already too late.
ReplyDeleteI feel so awful for Devon and Eloise. I'm glad that detective kept pushing them even though she got mad. He was only trying to do his job and help but it seems like people always do that: get angry. SO glad Devon remembered, and that El remembered that watch!
Jonah is hot! Ooooo gotta run off to the next prompt
ReplyDelete