Genre: Paranormal romance, drama
Type: Series
Characters: Eloise, Devon, Leigh
Prompt:037. Sound
Characters: Eloise, Devon, Leigh
Prompt:037. Sound
Word Count: 730 +
Warning: language
Rating: M- (coarse language, adult situations, nudity. N.B-Applies to the whole series)
Summary: Leigh hears some harsh truths
_________
Bridgeport, present day
For a long time Eloise lay in bed, trying to figure out what had disturbed her sleep. She reached for Devon , ready to trail her greedy little hands on his smooth abs, and then lower. Hopefully he’d be able to put her off to sleep again after an intense session of love making. Heavens, she was addicted to the man, she could never have enough of him...
There…the sound again. That’s what it was!
She sat up abruptly, and listened to the angry exchange on the other side of the door. She could hear Leigh’s angry footsteps as she paced the room, Devon banging pots and pans, getting breakfast ready amidst their scathing words.
She knew it was Devon who was cooking. Leigh never cooked since her pancakes always came out half done or burnt. And Saturdays was pancake day. The Starlingtons were creatures of habit; they loved their routine too much…
She wondered if she should go out there and break it up. But she quickly thought against it. This ‘talk’ between Leigh and her brother had been brewing for some time now; Devon didn’t approve of Leigh’s relationship with Krisis; he hated the fact that he was a vampire. But he’d never come right out and said it, he always hinted though. So seeing Krisis outside Dr. Steinberg’s house the previous afternoon must have been the final straw.
“Stop trying to control my life, Dev!” Leigh bunched her hands into tight fists and glared at her brother.
“He’s playing you Leigh! Don’t you see? He’s using you…making you his willing donor. Look at your neck. You think I haven’t noticed the marks? Open your eyes!” Devon banged the pan on the stove, quickly cracked the eggs into the bowl and threw in the flour.
Usually, he was meticulous in his cooking, following recipes to the t. But not this morning. He was agitated, and all because of the bite marks on her neck. He would have let it go, but when he came into the kitchen and found Leigh blissfully sipping coffee, tenderly stroking her neck, as if being bitten was something to be happy about, he’d lost it.
“I love him Dev. And he would never use me!” Leigh retorted harshly, still helping him by passing the rest of the ingredients.
“How do you know? How do you know he’s not playing you? Has he said he loves you? Did he say you’re the only chick in his life? I don’t think so! He’s a musician for goodness sake. If it’s not Dr. Steinberg he’s humping, rest assured there’s a groupie in the wings!” He knew he was harsh, but he had no idea how else to get through to her.
Leigh kept quiet for a long time, mulling over what he’d said. She knew about Dr. Steinberg, he’d assured her they weren’t seeing each other anymore. Their relationship ended three days before he made love to her for the first time.
Fair enough he hadn’t left town since that fateful week with Vladimir , and she’d been to every one of their performances all over Bridgeport , meeting him backstage, making out with him in front of everyone. But the groupies? Now, that was a touchy subject, one she didn’t have answers to, or assurances from Kris.
And the fact that he hadn’t said he loved her was troubling, but she hadn’t said it either…Maybe he was waiting for her to say it first? Or maybe he just didn’t love her, and he was using her as a willing donor.
Crazy, uncomfortable thoughts continued to swirl through her mind, blurring the clear lines of love she’d defined.
“I don’t need him to tell me he loves me to feel it. I know he does. This is love, Dev!” She decided at last. “If you can’t be happy for me, then let’s agree to disagree on Krisis.”
“You’re making a mistake! He’ll hurt you!” Devon barked, not willing to let Leigh have the final say. He always had to be right.
“That’s my mistake to make Dev, not yours! And I can only trust Krisis with my heart, and trust him to be gentle with it. I can’t control his actions. I don’t even want to try, but I love him, and I’m willing to risk the hurt!” She shot back, before grabbing her car keys and handbag.
“Where’re you going? It’s pancake day!” Her brother called out after her, but she ignored him.
“I’ve lost my appetite!”










Awww. I hate to see them fighting, but I know Devon's only doing it because he loves her and doesn't want her to be hurt. Can't fault him for that.
ReplyDeleteAnd Poor Eloise, She must be torn, feeling strongly for both sides - wanting Leigh to be happy in love, and knowing Dev is only trying to keep her safe.
I wonder where Leigh's off to? I'm hoping it's into Krisis' arms, but I'm filled with foreboding about what will happen when she gets there.
Great chapter, Val! You've really nailed a perfect family dynamic, and made us sympathise with all sides!
Leigh's right to stand up for her relationship with Krisis, but I'm not sure how she will react when she finds out about the baby :D
ReplyDeleteI know, it's not a pretty sight to see them have a go at each other. But he his intentions are good. He's a man after all, and he knows what most men get up to, so he doesn't want his sister to get hurt.
ReplyDeleteEloise is indeed torn. She's happy for Leigh and Krisis, but she understands where Devon's coming from too, and that's why she chose to stay out of it.
Krisis would love that...
Thanks for reading Jill. Working with the Starlington's always easy, I guess maybe cos they're human and I can identify with them. It's the Frosts I have a hard time with.
I love that he is trying to protect her but she is right. That's her mistake to make. Seeing as he can't get through to her, I'm trying he'll step to Krisis again.
ReplyDeleteWhen Krisis tells her about the baby...that is going to really hurt now that Dev has planted those seeds into her head.
LOVELY SHOTS! I mean... REALLY!
Kim, yes she's right to stand up for herself, but Devon's acting like the big brother he is. The reaction to the baby news...That's one Krisis or Leigh will not forget in a hurry.
ReplyDeleteQui, true, she's a grown woman, and she knows what she wants and doesn't want. It's not up to Devon to decide.
ReplyDeleteIf their paths cross soon, he'll def have a go at the vampire.
I'm so glad you pointed that out. It's like you read my mind. He's planted the seeds of doubt, and Krisis will cultivate the rest.
I would have been so crushed if you didn't comment on the shots. I had to throw him in for you.
Damn that man needs to come and cook me some breakfast shirtless YEOW!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sad they are arguing but I know it's not a real fight, just a small disagreement.
Bad thing though is that he actually made her question her love for Krisis! But I like that she put her foot down and stated it was her decision. Good for Leigh.
I am so nervous to find out how their relationship surpasses this upcoming test though! As if she wasn't confused and scared before, Devon mentioning Krisis was at the Jackie's and the fact that she is preggers is just going to explode!!
And if Krisis still has not mentioned that he has no interests in groupies he is a freaking idiot. He knows she worries about those things and had doubts about their relationship, he should do his best to ensure her of everything!!!
Daijahv, I'll send him right over :)
ReplyDeleteA disagreement that can drive a wedge between them, and has planted doubts in her head.
He raised unsettling, but somewhat valid points. And the fact that she questioned their relationship means she's not entirely sure about where she stands with him. Another thing he needs to clear up.
It's going to storm heavily before the sun shines again. 'nuff said.
Thanks for reading.
This argument was the bend in the road.. Now Leigh's going to doubt their relationship even more than she did before. I can understand Devon's concern for his sister, and he has every right to suspect things, especially now that Dr. Steinberg is pregnant. I love Leigh and Krisis together, but I'm not sure if they can last with this huge responsibility that Krisis has to take care of. There still is a possibility that Dr. Steinberg decides not to keep the baby, but being the smart woman that she is, she probably realizes that, that baby is the one thing that can link her to Krisis forever and she loves Krisis just as much, or if not more than Leigh. I'm excited to find out the outcome of all this and how Krisis is going to tell Leigh about his expecting child.
ReplyDelete~ Just LOVE the Pictures,great shots there!!!lol!
ReplyDelete~ I think Devon may have succeeded in putting doubts in her mind!
~ She is so uncertain about Krisis,but at the same time sticking up for their love!
~ If only Krisis heard the words she told her brother,he would be more forthcomming!
~ I still think this could work out,as long as Krisis tells her,but then he is relying on Jackie to tell him whether she is keeping the baby or not,I bet she will take her sweet time getting back to him on that!!
~ There in lies a problem,the longer SHE takes, the longer the secret is kept!
~ Loved it Val!Thanks for the SMEXY Pics!(",)
Brookeshire, Devon putting doubts in her head was the last thing she needs right now, especially when her relationship with Krisis is still at the beginning stages, and in such a fragile place. True, we can't fault Devon for looking out got his sister.
ReplyDeleteKrisis will do everything he can to keep them together, but I'm also not sure if it will be enough. Chances of Dr. Jacqueline not keeping the baby are nil. Krisis knows it too.
If Jacqueline loves Krisis, then she has weird way of showing it. She's toying with him, messing with his head, and ultimately will mess up his relationship with Leigh.
Stay tuned for tomorrow's update then, it's Leigh and Krisis :)
-Karima, you too? I'll send him over.
ReplyDelete-That he did.
-She's questioning their whole relationship now because of those doubts.
-Def, he would be.
-Krisis won't tell her until he knows for sure Jackie is keeping the baby. He sees no point in agitating Leigh over something that may not happen. But the longer he keeps , the worse it will get for him.
-Glad you loved it, and the SMEXY Pics
Oooooooooooooooooo!
ReplyDeleteAnd My interest increases
Leah, glad it is :) Thanks for stopping by :)
ReplyDeleteDANCES go Leigh go go go Leigh. I love how she finally said it out loud that she loved him :) I know she thought it before but now she said it!!! She will defiantly stick by his side now. Krisis <3 Leigh forever! I seriously think I am going to go and have a t-shirt made!! And when I do I'll upload the pic!
ReplyDeleteKristen, you are the only dancing for this update. LOL. If Krisis does the right thing and tells the truth, she will stick by his side. Please make that t-shirt, and send me one too. Thanks for reading.
ReplyDelete...I don't even know what to make of this chapter. This just makes me want to skip ahead to whichever one it is that Leigh finds out about the pregnancy. I'm dying to know how Leigh and Devon are gonna react when they find out!!!
ReplyDelete